Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tilmonabbott

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Worcester Ma
One issue

Mr. T versus Arnold is obvious but you dont see that.

arnold is the governor of california. Mr. T has no tie into the political world. hence the reason why they turned it down.

Public figures versus celebrities are two different things even though arnold is both

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
You do know that rejection letter is covered by the NDA, so you just broke the NDA agreement.

(and yes, rejection letters are still covered by NDA)

chbeer

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Berlin
I am VERY glad they denied your App because it is only one more App nobody needs!

PLEASE stop doing such crap and build good and useful software for the iPhone!!

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I am VERY glad they denied your App because it is only one more App nobody needs!

PLEASE stop doing such crap and build good and useful software for the iPhone!!

+10. I strongly agree with you.

dL

smk319

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
failboatlg0.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Your open letter to Apple is being posted on a site not owned by Apple. If you want answers regarding your rejection you need to ask Apple.

Your open letter is formed and worded in such a way that it sounds like a child having a temper tantrum. I wouldn't take it seriously myself. I would calm down a rewrite.

Your app takes aim at a political figure. You have delivered only bits of the story. Though I would bet there is more to it.

I also agree with above posters, spend your time creating a quality app. This one sounds like it is not very useful.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
iPity does not "make fun of" Mr. T, it actually is a homage to him. All these things are things that he says or has said in the past. Stuff like "I pity the fool who doesn't stay in school" is classic Mr. T "jibba jabba".

If your app actually "made fun of" Arnold in any way it would be tough for them to ignore it with him being the governor of their state and all. You might have gotten a real republican zealot who reviewed your app. Maybe you can make it slightly less humorous and re-submit it? No rules against that...

By all means if you can't take a little bloody nose, go write these types of apps for Android and Windows Mobile. We have too many Crapps in the store as it is. ;)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It sounds like it's more of a copyright issue to me.

An app that says phrases like "uzi 9mm!", "hasta la vista baby!", "i'll be back" etc... isn't going to be offensive politically, it's just famous arnie catchphrases but they are Copyrighted so it goes without saying.

Pring

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I think his issue is that the same rules should have applied for the Mr T application.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Does anyone on these board who works at Apple care to explain?

Do not assume that Apple's interpretation of the rules is uniform, or will remain uniform, with regard to what's in the store. You were fooled by looking at what's available in the store, as opposed to a strict reading of the SDK rules.

They appear to have accepted some apps that may violate one of the rules (or comes close to doing so), and then later decide to reject all future apps that do the exactly the same (or vice versa!).

There may also be differences in interpretation by individual reviewers (or review teams). There is no legal appeal. Read the SDK agreement which you agreed to.

Just because you see a competitor doing it, don't count on it being acceptable.

(IMHO. That's my reading of the situation.)

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I think his issue is that the same rules should have applied for the Mr T application.

No one seems to have pointed out that Mr. T is a fictional character, whereas Arnie is not. Perhaps if yours had been a Terminator-based app you'd have had more luck? (Though obviously the copyright is more recent/valuable.)

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Apple employees, as a condition of their employment, are not permitted to join or post on these boards.

I've never heard of that, I know a couple people that work for Apple and they read and post on Apple related boards. :confused:

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
No one seems to have pointed out that Mr. T is a fictional character, whereas Arnie is not. Perhaps if yours had been a Terminator-based app you'd have had more luck? (Though obviously the copyright is more recent/valuable.)

I pity the fool who thinks Mr. T is not real. ;)

And I think basing an app on the Terminator character or world is going to get him into a lot more trouble than spoofing Arnold.

Pring

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
To be honest, I also have my own reason for being a bit miffed at this. I mailed Mr T's agent about doing this kind of app a few months ago and was told they weren't giving permission for anyone to use his voice in apps.

I'm willing to bet this app didn't seek his permission and went ahead with it. Boy do I regret not just trying to bend the rules now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.