Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vader1990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
So if I buy an iphone from a friend--he has the first iphone that was released--and I don't get a data plan from att or bother hacking it, can I simply use it as an ipod and surf the web through wifi at my house? Keep in mind all this WITHOUT any cell phone plan or service whatsoever.

thanks!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So if I buy an iphone from a friend--he has the first iphone that was released--and I don't get a data plan from att or bother hacking it, can I simply use it as an ipod and surf the web through wifi at my house? Keep in mind all this WITHOUT any cell phone plan or service whatsoever.

thanks!

yes. I have a friend who's currently doing that without a problem.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL

thanks!

Why not just get a 2nd gen touch then? EDIT: and let me buy the phone :)

vader1990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Why not just get a 2nd gen touch then? EDIT: and let me buy the phone :)

Because he's selling me the phone for $50!! And last I checked the iPod Touch wasn't selling for $50...

Besides I might switch to T-Mobile in June, and at that juncture I might unlock it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.