Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankrameretc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Ok so I have an .mkv file that I'd like to convert to mp4 so that I can watch it on my AppleTV. I have read a lot of forums and the trick is, apparently:

1. Buy Quicktime Pro - check
2. Install the Perian plugin - check
3. Open the .mkv in quicktime pro and save it as a .mov
4. Convert it to MP4

As far as I can tell, this process should work fine. However, when I open the MKV in quicktime, for some reason it chooses to play the wrong audio (its a blue ray rip and its only playing the audio with commentary). How do I switch the audio so that its ready for conversion?

I have already tried going view->languages->and selecting all fo the options. It doesnt change.

ryankrameretc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Ok in case anyone runs into the same problem, I just figured it out. In quicktime, go to Window -> Show Movie Properties. There is a listing of all the audio track and you can enable whichever ones you like.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Handbrake 0.9.3 is THE best tool for this. One step, and you're done.

Regards,
Michael

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
^^1300kbps you have to be kidding right, and you expect that to be HD you need at least 4000kbps.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Indeed.

1. If you have not already done so upgrade to HB 0.9.3.
2. Then make sure you update all the Pre-sets by pulling down the "gear" menu, in the pre-sets drawer, and clicking "update built-in presets."
3. Use the AppleTV pre-set to encode your .mkv videos to .m4v. The ONLY change I made to that pre-set was in the Picture Settings I set Anamorphic to "strict" so the aspect ratio would always come out as 1280x720.

This will result in good looking HD encodes with little to no discernible loss in quality.

Regards,
Michael

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
so in handbrake, i loaded up an mkv. and selected the "xbox" setting (thing is like my apple tv lol) and put the average bitrate at 4000 kbps. will i wake up to find a hd mp4 movie? i hope so. do i NEED to put the bitrate at 4000 kbps, i guess is my question.

edit: ETA is 61 DAYS?! errr...
edit: ok changed destination to my external hd. wow sure is time to replace this old macs hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.