Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italstln13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I'm trying to download Flash Player 10 onto my Mac OS X Leopard machine. It downloads the file ok to the point where the downloader program asks me to close Safari, even though Safari is closed, and I hit the QUIT button anyway, and then I get a 'install failed' box and the message that it failed to "run preflight script for Adobe Flash Player."

I read over in the adobe forum someone suggested to repair permissions:

- go to Applications -> Utilities -> DiskUntility.app.
- then click on your hard drive in the list on the left and click the button 'repair permissions'.
- reboot your computer

When I go to DiskUntility.app, which hard drive do I select? The 186.3 GB Fujitsu MHY2200BG Media or Macintosh HD?

If this does not work, does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

Italstln13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Repairing permissions did work! I repaired the 186.3 GB Fujitsu, restarted my macbook pro, and then ran the install and it worked. Thanks!!!

mattpol

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2002
New York, NY
I am getting the same error message. I repaired disc permissions, but the problem still persists! Any ideas MacRumors people?

cheers

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Try restarting, then downloading the flash installer again.
The download may have gotten corrupted.

Steve-S

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
I'm still having this problem, tried everything mentioned above. Anyone have any other ideas?

I ran into the same problem. I did a quick Google search to see if this was a common problem and found this thread. I've plenty of software development experience, so I took a quick look at the problem and came up with a quick work around. The following solution works:

There is a problem with the "preflight" script.

1. Copy the Adobe Flash Player.pkg to your desktop.
2. Right click on the player and choose show package contents.
3. Navigate to Contents --> Resources
4. Edit the "preflight" script. (I used vi from the terminal, but other text editors should work).

The purpose of this script is to make sure you're using OS X 10.4 or higher and that you've quit out of your browsers. Rather than fixing path issue, I just commented out the code and left it with a successful exit value.

The code looks like this before you edit it.

#!/bin/sh

#
# Preflight installer script
# Copyright 2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
#

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# [1] Perform version check and don't install on v10.2 & v10.3 systems.
"$1/Contents/Resources/MacOSXVersionCheck.sh"

# Fail script if operation didn't execute successfully
EXIT_STATUS=$?
if [ $EXIT_STATUS -ne 0 ]
then
exit $EXIT_STATUS
fi

# [2] If user's system >= v10.4, continue
"$1/Contents/Resources/CloseFPClients.app/Contents/MacOS/CloseFPClients"

# Fail script if operation didn't execute successfully
EXIT_STATUS=$?
if [ $EXIT_STATUS -ne 0 ]
then
exit $EXIT_STATUS
fi

From here, you can do several things. Delete the code or comment out the code by putting a # sign at the beginning of each line. The new code can be as simple as:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

This just tells the installer that the "preflight" exited without any problems. But, since it didn't actually do any checks, it's up to you to make sure you're using 10.4 or higher and that you've quit Safari and Firefox, etc.

Once you've edited and saved the updated preflight script, run the installer again and it will be fine. Let me know if you run into problems. I'll check in later to help anyone that has questions with the solution I described here. This is just seriously poor quality control on Adobe's part.

Dngrs

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Fixed the problem and can finally install again.

Remember to delete your old files (Flash Player.plugin, Flash Player.xpt and/ or Flash Player Enabler.plugin) from ~/Library/Internet Plugins before you install.

ViOCH

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
Adobe Flash

:( sadly, I still have the issue.

The code on the Preflight script is different...

Help.

Italstln13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I started this thread and fixed my own problem. But now I'm back with the same problem!!! :mad: I went to play a video on facebook today and I was told I needed to upgrade my flash-player in order to view the video. Alright, no problem. I downloaded the package. Went to install and got the exact same message as I had back in January, 'install failed' box and the message that it failed to "run preflight script for Adobe Flash Player." !!!!! This problem makes me so mad, because it does not seem that there are that many other people having this same problem which makes me believe there is something wrong with my macbook pro. Any ideas??? I have not tried "repairing permissions" yet (my solution back in January).

Italstln13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I went ahead and repaired permissions. Restarted my MBP. Then ran the install and it worked without a problem. Repairing permissions is the solution for me but I still do not understand why I had this issue?

bulentince

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Solved :)

Hi, this is my first reply on this forum :)

I found this error due to install itunes9. After a few hours i found that the problem occurs due to PERL. Please go and check the path below for libperl.dylib

system/library/perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/core

if the CORE folder is empty, that is why you get the error message.

here is how to solve this: (actually there are 2 ways)

1st method:

1. Download Pacifist (which actually helps you to extract files from installation packages)

http://www.charlessoft.com/

2. You will need the Leopard installation dvd

3. Run pacifist and type the name of the missing file in the search field, extract it, copy and paste it to its original location (path that i mentioned above)

4. That's it

2nd method (ok, this is the easiest one, lazy people, have fun :):

1. go and download the libperl.dylib.zip file that I uploaded.

(this file is included with all mac leopard installations, so it is your right to have this. So it is legal. And I uploaded this file to a free directory on rapidshare, so I don't expect anything)

here is the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/281404103/libperl.dylib.zip.html

2. Put it into its original location

3. Done! Have Fun

jewelsandra

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Still having issues

I am getting this error when attempting to download this file.

http://www.clear.com/support/download

Tried repairing permissions. Tried editing the preflight script. I don't see a core folder by following your instructions bulentince, so I'm guessing that's the problem. When I go to download the file you uploaded, it says the download limit is reached.

Can you re-upload or send file to me? I'm not a developer or anything, so I'm hesitant to try the more complex one.

Thanks.

maitria

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
San Francisco
Solved Problem by using other second installer-easy fix

Ok so for me when i ran the installer it just wouldn't install the plugin so I found by accident a second installer that worked like a charm...

Make sure you close your browser after downloading the adobe flash installer so you don't get any other error messages and then do this...

right click the install adobe flash player and select show package contents

next open contents
then open resources
then double click on adobe flash player.pkg

follow installer instructions and problem solved...enjoy your videos!

ADOBE SHAME ON YOU!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.