Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Recently I will invest in a camcorder. I am thinking of buying a HD VTR for the purpose of editing videos recorded on to a Mini DV.

However, I have a IMac (desktop) but I don't know if I will need additional equipment for my video editing like for instance a Video Card Expansion or something in that league.

Any advice for a amateur video editor will be well appreciated.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Mini DV camcorders require a Firewire port to transfer the video from the camera, which your iMac has. You should have no problems transferring the video into iMovie.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Recently I will invest in a camcorder. I am thinking of buying a HD VTR for the purpose of editing videos recorded on to a Mini DV.

If you have a Mini DV camera then all you need to transfer the video between the camera and the computer is a Firewire cable. You will need one with the right ends on it. Cameras typically have a four wire mini-sized conectore and the Mac has the "standard" kind.

No need for other equipment except many a larger disk if you need to staor a lot of video. One tape is about 7GB.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
You'll just need a FireWire cable. The camcorder will probably take a 6- to 4-pin cable, which in my experience isn't usually included for some reason. Check the box before you get home to avoid an extra trip.

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thank you

Thanks for the info.

However, I once had transfered directly from the camera to my Imac with a firewire cable but the video was not synchronized correctly with the audio and I had to adjust it in Final Cut.

Did it have something to do with the firewire cable, the camera or the computer?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Thanks for the info.

However, I once had transfered directly from the camera to my Imac with a firewire cable but the video was not synchronized correctly with the audio and I had to adjust it in Final Cut.

Did it have something to do with the firewire cable, the camera or the computer?

It may have been due to recording the audio portion at one sampling rate in the camera, then capturing or editing at another on the computer. DV typically uses either 32khz, 12 bit or 48khz, 16 bit audio. You need to make sure that you capture and edit at the exact same rate as you recorded.

-DH

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I did not know that.

It may have been due to recording the audio portion at one sampling rate in the camera, then capturing or editing at another on the computer. DV typically uses either 32khz, 12 bit or 48khz, 16 bit audio. You need to make sure that you capture and edit at the exact same rate as you recorded.

-DH

How do I know at what rate my camera recorded it? In the menu or something like that?

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks again

Thanks Everybody for all the insights. I hope I can return the favor some day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.