Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
nigelly
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Repairing MacBook Hard Disk

Hi there everybody

So as in my previous posts, I dropped my MacBook and now the hard disk is inaccesible. I have 2500 photos of which I don't have backed up on that hard drive and I really want to try and retrieve them by any means neccesary. They are worth more to me then the MacBook.

So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?

If it helps at all, I have windows XP via bootcamp and using macdrive on windows I can acess and browse my files on the mac side, but once i go to copy them, it just says the hard disk isn't readable.

Anyways if anyone could tell me how to run the disk repair, or any way possible of retrieving my photos I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much

Nigel
nigelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601
 
BlueRevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelly View Post
So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?
You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.
__________________
PIRATE PARTY OF CANADA Information leadership for the 21st century
BlueRevolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:19 AM   #3
nigelly
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRevolution View Post
You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.
How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks
nigelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
dr. shdw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelly View Post
How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks
After you go through the select language, there should be a menu up top.
dr. shdw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External 3.5" hard disk won't sleep only when mini is asleep ICEBreaker Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 0 Aug 24, 2011 12:28 PM
Which 1TB HDD for Macbook Pro - WD or Samsung? KeenMetal Buying Tips and Advice 1 Aug 18, 2011 10:18 AM
Using a G4 iMac hard disk in a Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) Jethryn Freyman PowerPC Macs 5 Aug 6, 2011 02:58 AM
2TB WD Caviar Green hard disk for Power Mac G5 Jethryn Freyman PowerPC Macs 3 Jul 16, 2011 08:04 AM
repair mac hard disk with linux and target disk mode bluestar14 Mac Basics and Help 0 Sep 1, 2009 07:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC