Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
nigelly
macrumors member

Repairing MacBook Hard Disk

Hi there everybody

So as in my previous posts, I dropped my MacBook and now the hard disk is inaccesible. I have 2500 photos of which I don't have backed up on that hard drive and I really want to try and retrieve them by any means neccesary. They are worth more to me then the MacBook.

So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?

If it helps at all, I have windows XP via bootcamp and using macdrive on windows I can acess and browse my files on the mac side, but once i go to copy them, it just says the hard disk isn't readable.

Anyways if anyone could tell me how to run the disk repair, or any way possible of retrieving my photos I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much

Nigel
nigelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelly View Post
So I was curious how to run the disk repair from the disk you get with the computer. I put the disk in and held down C while turning it on like everyone suggested, but it just took me to the screen to reinstall the OS. If I did this wouldnt I lose all my photos and documents and everything?
You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:19 AM   #3
nigelly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRevolution View Post
You would, yes. However, the installer also includes utilities that you may be able to use to recover your files. Under the Utilities menu, open Disk Utility, select your drive, and click Repair Disk.
How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks
nigelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
dr. shdw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelly View Post
How would I get to the utilities menu? When i boot up the disc it goes to language selection as if i am installing the OS again. Thanks
After you go through the select language, there should be a menu up top.
dr. shdw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help