Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htsai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I have an iBook G3 333 mhz, but the CD Rom Drive is not working. It is currently running OS 9.2, but I would like to install OS X Panther on it. Is there a way to do it using networking or firewire? Anything? Thank you for your help!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
If you have firewire, then you can get a firewire cd drive (beg? borrow? steal?) and plug it in. Then put in the cd for OS X, and follow the instructions.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If you have a 2nd Mac with FireWire port around, you can boot the iBook in Target Disk mode (boot with "T" pressed), and connect it via FireWire to the other Mac.
The iBook HD will be mounted as a FireWire disk on the other Mac, and using that Mac you can install Mac OS X on the mounted iBook disk.

BTW, Just curious: which laptop do you have exactly? (can't remember iBook 333 <maybe I'm getting rusty though :( >)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
The iBook 333 hasn't got FireWire. This is a toughy - I don't think you can install over a network because the Mac OS X CD in the computer you will be installing from won't be able to "see" the other hard drive PLUS at some point the iBook would have to restart, loosing the connection to the other Mac.

An idea, you could get a USB cd-rom drive, they are really cheap on eBay and they'll do the job - no need for FireWire.

Or, alternatively, why not go on eBay or another site and look for a replacement drive for your iBook? One company does a CD-RW for that iBook (forgotton its name, very famous upgrades etc).

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
In the old days you could do this through a network via AppleTalk. I am talking here os 7.5.3 the last time I did this and that was with a G3 B&W and upgrading an old LC to 7.5.3. So, don't know if you can do this with os X.

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
I am pretty much at the same issue. I have a Bondy Blue iMac, with no Firewire and no working CD unit. How the heck do I reinstall the system (be it 9 or X).

Now it has 9 on it and the "boot" control panel (translating fro Spanish, I do not know the equivalence in English Mac OS 9) grays out any external USB optical drive I connect. It does, though give the option to net boot, but I never had a clue about how to set up a quick and dirty server that could act as a net boot system.

The other Macs we have are running 9.2.2, 10.2.8 and 10.3.2. Any hint would be extremely welcome.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Your bondy blue...

elmimmo said:
I am pretty much at the same issue. I have a Bondy Blue iMac, with no Firewire and no working CD unit. How the heck do I reinstall the system (be it 9 or X).

You can fix this problem by upgrading/replacing your whole computer for a fairly decent price, ever check some refurbished or late model imacs? You're better off getting a newer one w/ firewire and a working CD unit.

Look into refurbs and discounts on the web...

cheers|bnkr

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I also have a similar problem too w/ my pismo (with broken DVD-ROM)...I do have an external FW drive, but I was under the impression that external drives do not work for the process (at some point I would think the drive would fail to show up...) is it possible to burn a disk image w/ toast or disk burner and do it that way...my ignorance is showing...(cue someone smarter)
(BTW it will be an upgrade from Jag to Panther, so I am waiting for 10.3.3 to be released...I have a little time)
*edit* oh, and panther comes on DVDs right, so my external FW CD-RW mentioned above is useless...S**T.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
blackfox said:
I
*edit* oh, and panther comes on DVDs right, so my external FW CD-RW mentioned above is useless...S**T.

No, it comes on CDs. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install it on my iBook (fortunately with a *working* CD-ROM drive!)

ebuddy889

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2004
htsai said:
I have an iBook G3 333 mhz, but the CD Rom Drive is not working. It is currently running OS 9.2, but I would like to install OS X Panther on it. Is there a way to do it using networking or firewire? Anything? Thank you for your help!
I have an imac G3 333mhz and I know for a fact that you cannot boot from any external drive. Whether it is USB or firewire. I imagine it's the same with the ibook. You should just replace the internal cd drive, they are cheap and easy to install.
The network option will not work either because you need to boot with the installer cd first and thats not possible over the network.

I'd buy a G5 if I were rich.....

Attachments

• Quote.txt
    32 bytes · Views: 168

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
ebuddy889 said:
You should just replace the internal cd drive, they are cheap and easy to install.
Cheap? An authorized Apple service support asked for about $350 for a damn CD drive specifically intended for that computer. Do you know any online place with more reasonable prices?
_bnkr612 said:
You can fix this problem by upgrading/replacing your whole computer for a fairly decent price
I wish people was a bit more conscious on the awful ammount of garbage we greedily throw every day. It is not because of the price to get a new one that I am not upgrading, it is because it is way powerful enough for its intended use, so I see no reason (except for the issue we are dealing in this thread) for trashing this computer.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
elmimmo said:
Cheap? An authorized Apple service support asked for about $350 for a damn CD drive specifically intended for that computer. Do you know any online place with more reasonable prices?I wish people was a bit more conscious on the awful ammount of garbage we greedily throw every day. It is not because of the price to get a new one that I am not upgrading, it is because it is way powerful enough for its intended use, so I see no reason (except for the issue we are dealing in this thread) for trashing this computer.
Powerfull enough or not, it is dying. I would troll ebay for parts... or even a machine with a dead mobo but a good optical drive. Check your local paper, etc. There is not point in putting a new drive into a machine that old.

Refrub (from Apple with a warranty) prices:

iBook G3 starting at $699
eMac G4 starting at $539

appleboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2004
ok to install it on a computer without a cd drive you need a computer with just a clean install of osx nothing else on it network it to you ibook and drag all the osx folders over to your ibook via a network then use os 9.22 to start osx when osx starts it will hang hold the x key down then it will boot

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
iPC said:
Powerfull enough or not, it is dying. [...]There is not point in putting a new drive into a machine that old.
Thank you for insisting on convincing me to get a new computer to do the same things I currently want to do and do with the one I have. It is NOT dying, everything works like a champ except for the optical drive. And last time I checked optical drive != computer. And be a bit more caring to your environment, please.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
appleboy said:
ok to install it on a computer without a cd drive you need a computer with just a clean install of osx nothing else on it network it to you ibook and drag all the osx folders over to your ibook via a network then use os 9.22 to start osx when osx starts it will hang hold the x key down then it will boot

ok. so i got lost between "...then use os 9.22.." and "...boot".

how's that again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.