Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:53 AM   #1
stanny
macrumors 6502

I can plug Mac Mini into normal keyboards, mouse and LCDs right?

Looking to buy a mac mini. However, of course I ain't gonna pay the high prices of apple displays and apple fancy mice. Can I plug the mini into some cheap dell 17" lcd as well as some entry level logitech keyboard and mouse?
stanny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 04:09 AM   #2
thingsis
macrumors newbie

Hi,

that is just what we are doing. You can use any normal display. It does not even have to be an lcd . The apple mice are not that good anyway. So you can use any usb mouse out there. With the keyboard it is a little different. Technically, you can use any usb keyboard as well. But as the windows and the alt key are the other way arround on a mac it is a little bit of an inconvinience. So - it works but in the long run you might want to get an apple keyboard.

thingsis
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Arcadie
Banned

i honestly love the apple keyboard more than any other i have ever used. I totally agree about the mouse though. Its defiantly worth purchasing their keyboard.. It feels more stable... its hard to explain got to a apple store or bestbey and try one out, youll see what i mean.
Arcadie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:44 AM   #4
nick9191
macrumors 68040

You can use any Keyboard, Mouse, Display.

That is the whole purpose of the Mac Mini, BYODKM, which stands for bring your own display, keyboard and mouse, its another one of those stupid computer geek acronyms like WYSIWIG (What you see is what you get) and GNU (GNU's not Unix).

Back to they keyboard, as I said any keyboard will work but you may need to remap a couple of the keys as Mac keyboards are different from PC keyboards.

Nick.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
jonasmac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
Looking to buy a mac mini. However, of course I ain't gonna pay the high prices of apple displays and apple fancy mice. Can I plug the mini into some cheap dell 17" lcd as well as some entry level logitech keyboard and mouse?
Many if not all Logitech keyboard/mouse combos are also spec'd for Mac. I have a cheapie and it even has a command/Apple key.
jonasmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini