Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:26 AM   #1
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Any plans to make an iPod car stereo?

An actual in-dash iPod car stereo would be ideal. no more gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod.

simply plug yer iPod right into the stereo and let her rip. even include a cd player/radio and what not.

or does this already exist?

and i couldn't figure out which forum this would go in.. sorry.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:57 AM   #2
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Many newer car stereos come standard with cables that when you attach an iPod through the iPod data connector will automatically reconfigure the car stereo to control the iPod through the car stereo controls. Alpine produces a series of car stereos that work this way.
SactoGuy18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
carlgo
macrumors 68000

I suggest Crutchfield.com because they have a lot of car stuff that integrates with iPods/iPhones.

The issue gets complicated because there are differences in the way all these devices integrate with the existing car hardware as well as with the iPods, and there are related issues with bluetooth and the hands-off laws.

Note that Ford uses an integrated Microsoft solution in their cars (Synch).

Apple supposedly was working with VW to develop a built-in system. Many people thought VW was the wrong company to partner with, but it has evidently been cancelled anyway.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jan 17, 2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
I suggest Crutchfield.com because they have a lot of car stuff that integrates with iPods/iPhones.

The issue gets complicated because there are differences in the way all these devices integrate with the existing car hardware as well as with the iPods, and there are related issues with bluetooth and the hands-off laws.

Note that Ford uses an integrated Microsoft solution in their cars (Synch).

Apple supposedly was working with VW to develop a built-in system. Many people thought VW was the wrong company to partner with, but it has evidently been cancelled anyway.
i'd work with a car stereo company...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:44 PM   #5
omegaphil6
Banned

I saw one yesterday at best buy, where the motorized screen slides down and instead where there is usually a CD slot, the is a tray for your iPod, you actually slide your ipod into the unit and it docks via dock connector and then you use the in dash screen to control it, thought it was quite cool, though i dont recall who made it.
omegaphil6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
omegaphil6
Banned

Nevermind i just found it,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218011400494

The fusion deck.
See images

Looks like it is only for Classic style ipods
omegaphil6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 02:49 PM   #7
svndmvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaphil6 View Post
Nevermind i just found it,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218011400494

The fusion deck.
See images

Looks like it is only for Classic style ipods
looks nice and simple, cheers for finding it! Though, it is pricey for my taste, guess Alpine work better. I had a Sony xPlod that cost me around €100 and it wasn't that great, had all the line-ins you could want for, but Mac formatted iPods weren't usable, and I had to use my good old iTrip thingy, which is by the way illegal in Italy as well as in other European countries.
Oh, and VW is not the only one supposed to be iPod/iPhone ready, I know BMWs and Mercedes' have iPhone integration, I suppose some iPod as well.
svndmvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

i'm picturing white with an iPod dock on the front and room for a cd tray...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post
An actual in-dash iPod car stereo would be ideal. no more gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod.

simply plug yer iPod right into the stereo and let her rip. even include a cd player/radio and what not.

or does this already exist?

and i couldn't figure out which forum this would go in.. sorry.
Yep - I got a Kenwood about three years ago. Plug in the iPod, use the Kenwood remote (or the front panel) to control the iPod. Works like a champ.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:32 AM   #10
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Some of you surely work for Mac. Use this great idea to get a promotion!!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post
Some of you surely work for Mac. Use this great idea to get a promotion!!
What idea? What you want has been done. As has been stated there are quite a few aftermarket head units with iPod interfaces, and many vehicles come from the factory with iPod support. No more "gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod."
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
What idea? What you want has been done. As has been stated there are quite a few aftermarket head units with iPod interfaces, and many vehicles come from the factory with iPod support. No more "gadgets and holsters to hook up yer iPod."
The idea of an iPod brand stereo.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:12 PM   #13
I'm 5 ft 8
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to I'm 5 ft 8
Linky no workie

Try this.....
http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/north-...8-product.aspx

Last edited by I'm 5 ft 8; Sep 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
I'm 5 ft 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Lorenz0
macrumors regular

...Dunno.. the obligitory 'protective case' for this innovative incar ipod is a bit too chunky for carrying about.

I despair sometimes. I really do.
Lorenz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:40 AM   #15
txr0ckabilly
macrumors 6502

i want Apple to make an actual iPod Stereo with wifi/bluetooth capabilities. with home sharing built in to itunes 9 it seems a simple enough task. it doesn't need a cd player in it, just a hard drive or a big flash drive. i think about 150-200 gb would suffice.

i want to be able to pull my vehicle into the driveway and have my iPod stereo sync to a "vehicle/driving playlist", add movies for the kids, or whatever from my itunes over me wireless network. no need to pull my classic in and out of the vehicle anymore to add songs. give it a touch screen double-din interface, hell even a single would be fine. have it set to sync with my iphone for hands free calling and remote. put a "good" GPS chip in it for directions. no more need for drop-down/detachable faces, no cables or docks needed except maybe to charge the phone.

i would buy one the first day it was available, hell i'd actually wait in line days before it came out.

Apple is an electronics company now, i don't see why they wouldn't or haven't released something like this.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod