Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 9, 2004, 05:58 PM   #1
mmoin
macrumors regular

batch mp4 to mp3 converter?

Hey guys- I have a bunch (50+) of recordings of my band and I've ripped them all in iTunes to mp4 (aac) format. I no longer have the original cd's, but I really want to convert them to mp3 so I can post them on the band's website and whatnot. Is there some sort of utility where I can feed in all the songs in AAC and create mp3 files of all of them? Or perhaps some batch converter that would convert them all to WAV and then convert them all to mp3? Thanks much, Andrew
mmoin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:14 PM   #2
titaniumducky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoin
Hey guys- I have a bunch (50+) of recordings of my band and I've ripped them all in iTunes to mp4 (aac) format. I no longer have the original cd's, but I really want to convert them to mp3 so I can post them on the band's website and whatnot. Is there some sort of utility where I can feed in all the songs in AAC and create mp3 files of all of them? Or perhaps some batch converter that would convert them all to WAV and then convert them all to mp3? Thanks much, Andrew
Use iTunes, set your import preference to MP3 and then select them all. Now just choose "Convert to MP3" and your set!
titaniumducky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:16 PM   #3
OutThere
macrumors 603

You should be able to do this in iTunes -

A) Go to the Prefs, and click the "Importing" tab.

B) Set the Prefs to use the MP3 Encoder to import music, and select the bitrate and settings that you want to use.

C) Close the Prefs and go back to your iTunes library (Or playlist with the songs you want in it)

D) Select all the songs that you want (Shift click to select all the songs in between two songs)

E) Go to the 'Advanced' menu and hit 'Convert Selection to MP3'

iTunes will take its time converting, and then you will have both the MP3 version and AAC version in your library.

Cheers!

Edit:
Arghh! Beat me to it!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:25 PM   #4
mmoin
macrumors regular

thanks all!
mmoin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Skilz34
macrumors member

what if these mp4's are protected songs that you've bought from itunes? it won't allow me to convert to mp3
Skilz34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:01 PM   #6
bankshot
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilz34
what if these mp4's are protected songs that you've bought from itunes? it won't allow me to convert to mp3
The easiest way is to burn a CD (use a rewritable) and re-import the audio from the CD. Could be a little time consuming if you have a lot of these tracks!

It used to be that iMovie would do it for you pretty easily - if you dragged the song into the project, iMovie would convert it to unprotected AIFF, and then you could copy the file out of the iMovie project folder and import it into iTunes. This was actually easier than burning a CD. But I just tried it now, and it looks like they plugged that up in the latest version. Now it converts the song to a larger file that looks about the right size for AIFF, but it's still protected AAC. They must be using no compression or something, but keeping it protected. Too bad!
bankshot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Skilz34
macrumors member

thank you bankshot
Skilz34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:32 AM   #8
7on
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankshot
The easiest way is to burn a CD (use a rewritable) and re-import the audio from the CD. Could be a little time consuming if you have a lot of these tracks!

It used to be that iMovie would do it for you pretty easily - if you dragged the song into the project, iMovie would convert it to unprotected AIFF, and then you could copy the file out of the iMovie project folder and import it into iTunes. This was actually easier than burning a CD. But I just tried it now, and it looks like they plugged that up in the latest version. Now it converts the song to a larger file that looks about the right size for AIFF, but it's still protected AAC. They must be using no compression or something, but keeping it protected. Too bad!
Still works for me. Playing Vertigo on an un - authorized computer right now. Used iMovie.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store