Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
hanguolaohu
macrumors regular

Multiple Address Books?

I receive hundreds of business cards and I would like to retain the information digitally, but would not like to input them all in my Address Book as I don't want to have thousands of entries. This could get especially tiresome while scrolling through my iPhone contacts database, you know? Do people keep multiple Address Books, like for either work or personal? I can't imagine CEO's like Steve Jobs keeps the info of tens of thousands of people they meet all in one Address Book.

I bought a Penpower Card Scanner which has it's own database for business cards which I haven't played with yet. I was planning to keep a database there and the cards that turn out to be useful I would export into Address Book. Let me know if anyone has any insights into this matter. A Google search surprisingly bred few results.

Thanks,
Alexander
hanguolaohu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
juanster
macrumors 68020

interesting idea, havent heard of anything of teh kind
juanster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:47 PM   #3
dubhe
macrumors 65816

No insights but a great idea.
The only option with apple's Address Book would be to create groups and only sync your iPhone/Touch with certain ones.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

I just use the grouping feature. I have one for family, friends, colleagues, professors, and etc. Currently I have about 635 contacts and it's not much of a pain to find the people I need to contact on my BlackBerry Bold. I don't know how it is with the iPhone, but I wouldn't think it would be any different.
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5
dubhe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post
I just use the grouping feature. I have one for family, friends, colleagues, professors, and etc. Currently I have about 635 contacts and it's not much of a pain to find the people I need to contact on my BlackBerry Bold. I don't know how it is with the iPhone, but I wouldn't think it would be any different.
How do you sync with your BB? I used the Mark/Space sync programme for a bit but it kept on corrupting/deleting some of my contacts. I now export my address book to XP running in VMFusion and sync my BB with that.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:06 AM   #6
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

I use Missing Sync for BlackBerry from Mark/Space. Never had a problem with the contacts becoming corrupt. Before I found Missing Sync, I used to do it your way. Now I'm just waiting for a Mac-specific program from RIM.
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:17 AM   #7
dubhe
macrumors 65816

A lot of my contacts would loose all of their details, just leaving the name and sometimes new contacts (to my BB) would be deleted rather than copied?!

It might be my BB (8310) or the fact that my contacts have been around quite a bit (Nokia to Sony Ericsson to BlackBerry) and have lost some of the tags that the sync programme uses.

Anyway, I now use my iPod Touch as my address book, synced to my Mac using groups as described above. If there isn't a better BB solution by the time the next iPhone comes out I may go that way...
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
hanguolaohu
macrumors regular

Seems like Bento and Contactizer Pro automatically link with Apple's address book. Daylite seems to offer features of flexible syncing which sounds great. I'm also considering using Direct Mail's database or my Penpower card scanner's database.

I guess I could split everything into 2 main groups: Personal or Work. And then have subgroups from there. Still my iPhone searches under "All" would take forever if I scroll with my finger
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:46 PM   #9
csa9
macrumors newbie

if it gets unbearable just create a new username and use it for your buis. contacts or maybe the smart groups could help?
csa9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:46 AM   #10
hanguolaohu
macrumors regular

that's a good idea. I could keep a login ID for that purpose. Although this really seems unnecessary and someone should create a simple solution for this.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:46 AM   #11
dubhe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
Still my iPhone searches under "All" would take forever if I scroll with my finger
Don't search under "All" get used to using the groups

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store