Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelarsman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I've got an imac G5... it seems to me to be going way out of date and it isn't even 4 years old. Think about it, you may have a new Intel-duel processor but in a year or two it could be more or less obsolete! Just wait.

Nuf said, NetFlix has opened the doors to the mac people so they can view streaming movies on line, but Apple only gave them the power to help the intel macs! Anyone know of an easy work around? A software or hardware fix? Just checking. Thanks!:confused:

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I've got an imac G5... it seems to me to be going way out of date and it isn't even 4 years old. Think about it, you may have a new Intel-duel processor but in a year or two it could be more or less obsolete! Just wait.

Nuf said, NetFlix has opened the doors to the mac people so they can view streaming movies on line, but Apple only gave them the power to help the intel macs! Anyone know of an easy work around? A software or hardware fix? Just checking. Thanks!:confused:

Get an Intel Mac. That's your only option. The G5's aren't able to keep up as much as they once did. You can't expect obsolete hardware to be supported. A 4 year old computer is pushing its lifespan. Get a new Mac, then you can watch your movies.

Don

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
It doesn't have alot to do with Apple. Netflix streaming for the Mac is Microsoft Silverlight powered, and Silverlight has been Intel-only since 1.1. Yell at Gates. :p

You can still get Silverlight 1.0 for PPC Macs here, below the big Mac and Windows links on the right.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
G5's aren't that outdated yet. Most of them can keep up with todays low and mid and intel macs. I can't believe they won't provide support for them.

Silverlight is processor intensive. More so then flash in some situations. I don't blame MSFT for not supporting PPC's. PPC is dead. People need to deal with it and upgrade.

Don

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Silverlight is processor intensive. More so then flash in some situations. I don't blame MSFT for not supporting PPC's. PPC is dead. People need to deal with it and upgrade.

Don

PPC may no longer be Apple's choice of processor, but the architecture is by no means dead. I believe the Xbox 360 and the Wii both use PPC.

And like I said, most G5's and even some G4's can keep up with the Intel macs. (i.e, can perform the same "processor intensive tasks") So just because it's not as widely used as it used to be, doesn't mean it can't handle it, and there is no good reason not to support them.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan

PPC may no longer be Apple's choice of processor, but the architecture is by no means dead. I believe the Xbox 360 and the Wii both use PPC.

And like I said, most G5's and even some G4's can keep up with the Intel macs. (i.e, can perform the same "processor intensive tasks") So just because it's not as widely used as it used to be, doesn't mean it can't handle it, and there is no good reason not to support them.

Let me amend my post. PPC is dead for consumer computing (laptops & desktops).

Don

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan

Technically, yes, that's correct. But I didn't say they matched them spec wise. I'm saying put a G5 against a C2D playing a movie and you'll get pretty much the same results.:rolleyes:

Depending on what format the movie is in. If the movie is encoded in H.264, or another "quicktime" format, your statement is correct. But if the movie is encoded with Flash, or with MSFT's Silverlight technology, the C2D will blow even a top of the line G5.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.