Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Fix for Steam universal access glitch

The latest Steam update, which drops support for OS X 10.5 among other things, introduced a bug that causes the program to ask for you to enable universal access for the in-game overlay even if it already was prior to the latest client release.

Here's a fix for that glitch:

1) Make sure Steam is not running and uncheck it from the accessibility preference pane.
2) Close system preferences.
3) Open Terminal and copy/paste the following exactly as you see it, including all quotes:

Code:
sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/Tcc.db 'delete from access where client like "%Steam%"'
4) Re-open the accessibility preference pane and make sure that Steam is not listed.
5) Close system preferences, launch Steam, and try to play a game. The warning dialog box about the Steam overlay will pop up again. Use it to go back into system preferences and Steam should have re-appeared. Check the box if it's not already, close system preferences, and you should be good to go.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:07 PM   #2
MichalM.Mac
macrumors member

Thank you for the tip
I was to lazy to mess around with SQL in that sqlite db.

Anyway.. it did not work.
What version of Steam client do you have installed?
MichalM.Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:39 PM   #3
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM.Mac View Post
Anyway.. it did not work.
What version of Steam client do you have installed?
Whatever the latest build is. Exactly what part did not work? Was Steam not removed from the accessibility list, or did it go away but the warning message reappear after you started Steam? Did you copy and paste the above code exactly as-is?
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Can you tell me exactly what the command does? man tells me its a database thing. But thats just sqlite3 not what the actually command does.
EDIT: apparently it just deletes it from System Preferences.
Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:10 PM   #5
MichalM.Mac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Whatever the latest build is. Exactly what part did not work? Was Steam not removed from the accessibility list, or did it go away but the warning message reappear after you started Steam? Did you copy and paste the above code exactly as-is?
Steam was removed from accessibility list.
Command work perfectly.

Unfortunately when I re-add it through Steam.app Steam overlay still does not work. I suspect some bug introduced in last Steam update is causing this.
MichalM.Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Washac
macrumors 68000

I just opened the access window and even though it was selected I just reselected and all was OK.

Seems my problem was a bit different as access was already ticked but was not recognized.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:36 AM   #7
GoldfishRT
macrumors member

For a few days the overlay didn't work (with the latest update). I ended up restarting my computer and now it works fine.

If any of you are still having issues, try enrolling in the Steam Client Beta (it's in your account options).

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games