Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

What is the Best Guitar App???

This thread is directed to those guitar players out there. I have never played a guitar in my life but have wanted to. I am getting ready to purchase an acoustic guitar and want to learn how to play it for singing around the campfire type use.

What is the best app available for a beginner to start learning and have everything he/she needs to start playing and continue learning if the guitar is not available???

Thanks for the info in advance
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
TheZimm
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheZimm
I say that guitar chords is nice. It's really simple and has soo many chords.

Zym

TheZimm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:45 PM   #3
akacaj
macrumors regular

I hope you don't mind the plug here but I suggest you check out Tingalin as well.
akacaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Kilamite
macrumors G3

If you are serious about learning the guitar, the best Mac application is Guitar Pro - full tab software for learning songs, but also has scales, chords, fingering etc. That, compiled with the new GarageBand Lessons and you'll be rocking in no time

I just wish Guitar Pro was available as an app on the iPhone - I'd love to be able to just see the sequencing (i.e. intro, chorus etc) and have the MIDI track play.

The first three chords you should learn are C, D and G. Most rock songs form around those progressions. Switching between those chords in random order will seem tricky at first, but once you get the hang of that, you can learn other chords. But work on those three first and master them without having to think or look at where your fingers are!
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
If you are serious about learning the guitar, the best Mac application is Guitar Pro - full tab software for learning songs, but also has scales, chords, fingering etc. That, compiled with the new GarageBand Lessons and you'll be rocking in no time

I just wish Guitar Pro was available as an app on the iPhone - I'd love to be able to just see the sequencing (i.e. intro, chorus etc) and have the MIDI track play.

The first three chords you should learn are C, D and G. Most rock songs form around those progressions. Switching between those chords in random order will seem tricky at first, but once you get the hang of that, you can learn other chords. But work on those three first and master them without having to think or look at where your fingers are!
Thanks for the link...I see it has "Windows" version but I do not have Garage Band and I don't have the guitar...yet. Want to learn on something portable and I know there are apps out there.

Again, thank you but I am a happy PC user as it states in my sig.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
PhaserFuzz
macrumors 6502

Best guitar apps are "Guitarist" and "Guitar Toolkit" in my opinion. If you want one that you can play and record simple ideas, Guitarist is your best bet. If you want a huge directory of chords, scales, and a basic tuner.. you want to snag Guitar Toolkit.
PhaserFuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Archer View Post
Thanks for the link...I see it has "Windows" version but I do not have Garage Band and I don't have the guitar...yet. Want to learn on something portable and I know there are apps out there.

Again, thank you but I am a happy PC user as it states in my sig.
Ahh sorry never saw you're a PC! Guitar Pro is a must though. 30 day trial, so if you don't like it, no loss.

www.ultimate-guitar.com for guitar tabs, and look for Guitar Pro versions.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:09 AM   #8
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Ahh sorry never saw you're a PC! Guitar Pro is a must though. 30 day trial, so if you don't like it, no loss.

www.ultimate-guitar.com for guitar tabs, and look for Guitar Pro versions.
Thank you for your input Kilamite. I will take your advice as soon as I get my guitar with my tax return. Do not want to start the 30 day trial until I have the instrument in my grubby little hands.

PhaserFuzz...I am leaning toward the two apps that you pointed out. I have sent emails to both to see what they say personally about their product and to test customer support. Review look about average so will wait a little longer before buying

It looks like one would have to have 2 apps...one for chords and tuning and the other for lessons and being able to document created songs for hard copy and storage. Be nice if it was all in one.

Ill keep this thread going for a little while longer to see what other input is out there.

Thanks again for replies so far.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Cobblehill
macrumors newbie

Guitar Jam Tracks

I'm a big fan of Guitar Jam Tracks series of apps. I'm new to guitar myself and had a hard time (and wasted some good time) trying to figure out and match the pentatonic scales to what key I was playin in. This app has good backing tracks and I usually leave it on while trying phrasing patterns and leads.

App needs temp control but I like it quite a bit for what I need.

Guitar Jam Tracks- Acoustic Blues. Is my fav
Cobblehill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:45 AM   #10
Steeeve73
macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I see you all love guitar here. I like to play guitar, too, and together with my mates iPhone developers we made an app called Real Guitar. I'm not sure if links to iTunes are allowed here, but if not you'll easily find it by name. There is a paid version, and a lite version for free (with limited functionality)

itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-guitar/id424059280?mt=8&ls=1

Check out some screenshots in the attachments, and feel free to comment on our app, we appreciate any feedback and feature requests.

Thanks!

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	278702   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	278703   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	278704  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	278705  
Steeeve73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:06 PM   #11
firewood
macrumors 603

There are over 150 guitar tuners in the app store. About half of the ones I've tried don't work. Some of the best looking ones are terrible at figuring out the right pitch. The 4 or 5 strobe tuner apps seem to be the best.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:23 AM   #12
dhrrest
macrumors newbie

optima guitar tuner

this one works great. cheap and accurate. read the reviews
dhrrest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
fat jez
macrumors 65816

I use the Planet Waves app. Has a chord dictionary, reverse chord lookup (tell it the frets you're holding down and it tells you the chord), scales, tuner and metronome.
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:08 PM   #14
warmfeeling2009
macrumors newbie

A free app guitar tuner*

Three days ago. I downloaded afree APP .Named is guitar tuner *.SO surprised, this is the best tuner I've ever used,And is free.Here is the download address "http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitar-tuner*/id544348569?mt=8", but do not know whether it is still free.Two very good features: the ability to automatically recognize the chord sequence.Can also be set manually, another function is Bluetooth function, I follow the picture put my Bluetooth on the guitar sound hole , the sixth string of my guitar (E4) accurate to 0.1 cents.And the tuner olso contains a choromatic mold .I can use it to correct a lot of musical instruments. I think this is the best guitar tuner.
warmfeeling2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:00 AM   #15
seekGeek
macrumors newbie

Guitar Hero for real guitar app - learn guitar

Hey guys,

For anyone learning to play guitar, we have created guitar hero that can be played with a real guitar!
The app is available on iPhone and iPad - we have just released a huge upgrade.

The app lets you use own guitar pro tabs files, so that you can practice anything you want!
It has multiple learning modes and lets you share music.
Look the demo at: https://vimeo.com/61347039

The app is available at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stri...7138?ls=1&mt=8 and is free for a limited period.

We have already seen 20K downloads in a day - so hurry before we decide to end the offer!

cheers!
seekGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
tonappas
macrumors member

You should give GuitarCapo a try. With some basic knowledge you will understand how powerful "less is more" is

Read about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1616120
tonappas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:06 AM   #17
Todd Riddle
macrumors newbie

What is the Best Guitar App???

The best guitar application according to my usability are
  • Tiny Guiar
  • Real Guitar
  • Guitar Pro
Todd Riddle is offline   0 Reply With Quote