Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
This thread is directed to those guitar players out there. I have never played a guitar in my life but have wanted to. I am getting ready to purchase an acoustic guitar and want to learn how to play it for singing around the campfire type use.

What is the best app available for a beginner to start learning and have everything he/she needs to start playing and continue learning if the guitar is not available???

Thanks for the info in advance :)

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I say that guitar chords is nice. It's really simple and has soo many chords.

Zym

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
I hope you don't mind the plug here but I suggest you check out Tingalin as well.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you are serious about learning the guitar, the best Mac application is Guitar Pro - full tab software for learning songs, but also has scales, chords, fingering etc. That, compiled with the new GarageBand Lessons and you'll be rocking in no time ;)

I just wish Guitar Pro was available as an app on the iPhone - I'd love to be able to just see the sequencing (i.e. intro, chorus etc) and have the MIDI track play.

The first three chords you should learn are C, D and G. Most rock songs form around those progressions. Switching between those chords in random order will seem tricky at first, but once you get the hang of that, you can learn other chords. But work on those three first and master them without having to think or look at where your fingers are!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
If you are serious about learning the guitar, the best Mac application is Guitar Pro - full tab software for learning songs, but also has scales, chords, fingering etc. That, compiled with the new GarageBand Lessons and you'll be rocking in no time ;)

I just wish Guitar Pro was available as an app on the iPhone - I'd love to be able to just see the sequencing (i.e. intro, chorus etc) and have the MIDI track play.

The first three chords you should learn are C, D and G. Most rock songs form around those progressions. Switching between those chords in random order will seem tricky at first, but once you get the hang of that, you can learn other chords. But work on those three first and master them without having to think or look at where your fingers are!

Thanks for the link...I see it has "Windows" version but I do not have Garage Band and I don't have the guitar...yet. Want to learn on something portable and I know there are apps out there.

Again, thank you but I am a happy PC user as it states in my sig.:)

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Best guitar apps are "Guitarist" and "Guitar Toolkit" in my opinion. If you want one that you can play and record simple ideas, Guitarist is your best bet. If you want a huge directory of chords, scales, and a basic tuner.. you want to snag Guitar Toolkit.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the link...I see it has "Windows" version but I do not have Garage Band and I don't have the guitar...yet. Want to learn on something portable and I know there are apps out there.

Again, thank you but I am a happy PC user as it states in my sig.:)

Ahh sorry never saw you're a PC! Guitar Pro is a must though. 30 day trial, so if you don't like it, no loss.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com for guitar tabs, and look for Guitar Pro versions.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Ahh sorry never saw you're a PC! Guitar Pro is a must though. 30 day trial, so if you don't like it, no loss.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com for guitar tabs, and look for Guitar Pro versions.

Thank you for your input Kilamite. I will take your advice as soon as I get my guitar with my tax return. Do not want to start the 30 day trial until I have the instrument in my grubby little hands.

PhaserFuzz...I am leaning toward the two apps that you pointed out. I have sent emails to both to see what they say personally about their product and to test customer support. Review look about average so will wait a little longer before buying

It looks like one would have to have 2 apps...one for chords and tuning and the other for lessons and being able to document created songs for hard copy and storage. Be nice if it was all in one.

Ill keep this thread going for a little while longer to see what other input is out there.

Thanks again for replies so far.

Cobblehill

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Guitar Jam Tracks

I'm a big fan of Guitar Jam Tracks series of apps. I'm new to guitar myself and had a hard time (and wasted some good time) trying to figure out and match the pentatonic scales to what key I was playin in. This app has good backing tracks and I usually leave it on while trying phrasing patterns and leads.

App needs temp control but I like it quite a bit for what I need.

Guitar Jam Tracks- Acoustic Blues. Is my fav

Steeeve73

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Hi guys! I see you all love guitar here. I like to play guitar, too, and together with my mates iPhone developers we made an app called Real Guitar. I'm not sure if links to iTunes are allowed here, but if not you'll easily find it by name. There is a paid version, and a lite version for free (with limited functionality)

itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-guitar/id424059280?mt=8&ls=1

Check out some screenshots in the attachments, and feel free to comment on our app, we appreciate any feedback and feature requests.

Thanks!

-Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 413

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are over 150 guitar tuners in the app store. About half of the ones I've tried don't work. Some of the best looking ones are terrible at figuring out the right pitch. The 4 or 5 strobe tuner apps seem to be the best.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I use the Planet Waves app. Has a chord dictionary, reverse chord lookup (tell it the frets you're holding down and it tells you the chord), scales, tuner and metronome.

warmfeeling2009

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
A free app guitar tuner*

Three days ago. I downloaded afree APP .Named is guitar tuner *.SO surprised, this is the best tuner I've ever used,And is free.Here is the download address "http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitar-tuner*/id544348569?mt=8", but do not know whether it is still free.Two very good features: the ability to automatically recognize the chord sequence.Can also be set manually, another function is Bluetooth function, I follow the picture put my Bluetooth on the guitar sound hole , the sixth string of my guitar (E4) accurate to 0.1 cents.And the tuner olso contains a choromatic mold .I can use it to correct a lot of musical instruments. I think this is the best guitar tuner.

seekGeek

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Guitar Hero for real guitar app - learn guitar

Hey guys,

For anyone learning to play guitar, we have created guitar hero that can be played with a real guitar!
The app is available on iPhone and iPad :apple: - we have just released a huge upgrade.

The app lets you use own guitar pro tabs files, so that you can practice anything you want!
It has multiple learning modes and lets you share music.
Look the demo at: https://vimeo.com/61347039

The app is available at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/string-wars-learn-guitar-play/id580707138?ls=1&mt=8 and is free for a limited period.

We have already seen 20K downloads in a day - so hurry before we decide to end the offer!

cheers!

Irchuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
I am using Yousician to learn to play play a guitar. It is one of the best free apps, if you want to practice :)
Here is a Yousician review

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.