Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacobsen1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Mt View, RI
OK, yeah, another mac n00b with another dumb question.

On my PC I used the scroll wheel click trick in FF all the time to open links in a new tab. I've set the mouse up (wireless mighty mouse) so the wheel/ball click is "button 3" which does the same thing, and it works.....

but... whenever I hover over a link, and right as I'm about to click it, the damn cursor always seems to jump off the link? That will then give me the scroll arrows instead of the new tab and if I then move the mouse at all the screen will fly in whatever direction I go... Any ideas on like a snap to setting or something similar that's making the cursor actually jump AWAY from the links? It's getting annoying.

Also, any suggestions as to why I'm having issues right clicking with this thing? It's not that I can't, it's that I only get the menu about half the time. When running VMware and windows it's even less often.

HELP!

TIA,
Ben

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It's a problem with the design of the mouse itself. I do suggest going easy on the middle-clicking anyway, though. The scroll balls are notorious for wearing out, and then you can't scroll down, only up.

Because the mouse is touch-sensitive, it will only register a right-click when your fingers on the left side are not touching the mouse.

The Mighty Mouse: form over function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.