Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1
XnavxeMiyyep
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via MSN to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via Yahoo to XnavxeMiyyep
NSScreen giving me nonsensical coordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by controller.m
NSRect frameRect;

for(int i = 0; i < scns; i ++){

frameRect = [[[NSScreen screens] objectAtIndex:i] frame];
NSLog(@"Checking screen %i: %f %f %f %f",i,frameRect.origin.x,frameRect.origin.y,frameRect.origin.x+frameRect.size.width,frameRect.origin .y+frameRect.size.height);

}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Console
Checking screen 0: 0.000000 0.000000 1600.000000 1200.000000

Checking screen 1: -1680.000000 150.000000 0.000000 1200.000000
The coordinates assume that my screens are aligned at the bottom, which is not the case; they are aligned at the top, so screen 1 should be -1680, 0, 0, 1050.

I suppose it wouldn't be a problem, except that my program interacts with AppleScript, which actually gets the proper coordinates. I can't just put a 150 pixel vertical offset (which is, of course, the difference in heights of the monitors), because I want to ultimately produce a real program.

Am I missing something? Is there an alternative to NSScreen? I'm so close to finishing this project, but I can't make any sense out of this.
Attached Images

Last edited by XnavxeMiyyep; Jan 18, 2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Accidentally wrote NSView in the title instead ofNSScreen
XnavxeMiyyep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

0 in the y-axis in Cocoa/Quartz is the bottom of the screen, so it makes sense to me. What is the AppleScript doing?
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Sayer
macrumors 6502a

Quartz assumes the origin is in the lower left corner.

Carbon will still assume the origin is in the top left corner, which explains the AppleScript result.

So either work with what Quartz gives you or do some small amount of math on the results to massage them the way you think they should be.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
XnavxeMiyyep
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via MSN to XnavxeMiyyep Send a message via Yahoo to XnavxeMiyyep
Ok, thanks guys. That also explains why I thought the visible frame assumed the menubar was at the bottom.

I'm working on a utility called Gridlock that allows you to move and resize windows based on coordinates on a hypothetical grid, and wanted to make it work on multiple screens.
XnavxeMiyyep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming