Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
umbilical
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem"

anybody knows what is that option on XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem", I do check for better audio or something? correct what?
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
umbilical
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilical View Post
anybody knows what is that option on XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem", I do check for better audio or something? correct what?
No Responses help!!!!!
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus
 
WinterMute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, England
Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
Clearly, no-one knows...

Any more info to hand, like what software are you talking about?
__________________
"Everything in excess, moderation is for monks..." Lazarus Long
--
PotPPP, MoDTPPP
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:05 PM   #4
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
You really don't need to worry about that one. A slight shift in offset won't have any effect on audio quality. I'm pretty sure you can just safely ignore it.

A problem with XLD right now, is the lack of a user guide. It's actually quite easy to use, but the initial hit of being presented with all the new options can be a bit much.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

For those wondering, this is XLD:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=XLD

It's the most secure audio ripper you can get for the Mac.
There's supposed to be an updated version due to come out any day now.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5
umbilical
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
You really don't need to worry about that one. A slight shift in offset won't have any effect on audio quality. I'm pretty sure you can just safely ignore it.

A problem with XLD right now, is the lack of a user guide. It's actually quite easy to use, but the initial hit of being presented with all the new options can be a bit much.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

For those wondering, this is XLD:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=XLD

It's the most secure audio ripper you can get for the Mac.
There's supposed to be an updated version due to come out any day now.
GREAT! I go to convert some files to apple lossless by the way you think that is better use XLD to rip a CD than itunes??? I need convert a lot cds to apple lossless and Iam think on use itunes, I think that is good right?

thanks
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Killyp
macrumors 68040
 
Killyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
iTunes-made Apple Lossless rips are identical to the original version on the CD.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:45 PM   #7
ChrisA
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilical View Post
GREAT! I go to convert some files to apple lossless by the way you think that is better use XLD to rip a CD than itunes??? I need convert a lot cds to apple lossless and Iam think on use itunes, I think that is good right?

thanks
The results will be identical. That is the whole point of "lossles". If the files are going to be imported to your iTunes library then use iTunes. XLD is good the files to be converted are on the hard drive and if you have a multi-core machine as XLD will do multiple conversion at the same time but if ripping from CD you can only do one at a time anyways
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
XLD will give you a better chance of getting bit perfect rips than iTunes will. And, more importantly, it will let you know when there is a problem with the rip.

Lossless files will be a perfect copy of the rip, not necessarily the CD itself.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:28 AM   #9
umbilical
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
XLD will give you a better chance of getting bit perfect rips than iTunes will. And, more importantly, it will let you know when there is a problem with the rip.

Lossless files will be a perfect copy of the rip, not necessarily the CD itself.
why better than itunes for the gap?
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 AM   #10
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
This will tell you a bit about the ripping engine in XLD:

http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html

I've spent a bit of time comparing the results of ripping with iTunes and various forms of CDParanoia, and I've found iTunes doesn't do as well on problem CDs as Paranoia. It really only matters if you have scratched or dirty CDs, or a poor quality drive.

There's certainly nothing easier than ripping in iTunes. If your CD collection is in good shape, it can work just fine.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Killyp
macrumors 68040
 
Killyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
XLD will give you a better chance of getting bit perfect rips than iTunes will. And, more importantly, it will let you know when there is a problem with the rip.

Lossless files will be a perfect copy of the rip, not necessarily the CD itself.
iTunes will always produce a bit perfect rip unless the original disk is in poor condition. It even has an option to read everything twice and checksum at the end (called Use Error Correction).

It's also worth noting that unless your system clock rate is set to 44.1 kHz in Audio MIDI setup, you will get some quantization noise in comparison to using a good external DAC running at 44.1 kHz.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:53 AM   #12
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
iTunes will always produce a bit perfect rip unless the original disk is in poor condition. It even has an option to read everything twice and checksum at the end (called Use Error Correction).
Well, I agree that iTunes rips good if the CDs are in perfect condition.
As for iTunes error correction, why do you think it works that way?
Have you ever seen it give a checksum result?
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correct way to "migrate" AppleIDs? NicApicella Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Feb 10, 2014 03:56 PM
Correct way to "clean setup" iOS 7 thedeejay iOS 7 7 Sep 13, 2013 12:44 PM
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved" error Farabi iMac 1 Aug 16, 2013 10:08 AM
The use of the "self" keyword in Objective-C, see samples fstigre iPhone/iPad Programming 18 Jan 11, 2013 11:32 PM
"not new" MacPro may have been the correct move for revenue purposes edoates Mac Pro 36 Jun 27, 2012 06:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC