Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem"

anybody knows what is that option on XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem", I do check for better audio or something? correct what?
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilical View Post
anybody knows what is that option on XLD "correct 30 samples moved offset problem", I do check for better audio or something? correct what?
No Responses help!!!!!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
Clearly, no-one knows...

Any more info to hand, like what software are you talking about?
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:05 PM   #4
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

You really don't need to worry about that one. A slight shift in offset won't have any effect on audio quality. I'm pretty sure you can just safely ignore it.

A problem with XLD right now, is the lack of a user guide. It's actually quite easy to use, but the initial hit of being presented with all the new options can be a bit much.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

For those wondering, this is XLD:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=XLD

It's the most secure audio ripper you can get for the Mac.
There's supposed to be an updated version due to come out any day now.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
You really don't need to worry about that one. A slight shift in offset won't have any effect on audio quality. I'm pretty sure you can just safely ignore it.

A problem with XLD right now, is the lack of a user guide. It's actually quite easy to use, but the initial hit of being presented with all the new options can be a bit much.
Feel free to ask any other questions.

For those wondering, this is XLD:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=XLD

It's the most secure audio ripper you can get for the Mac.
There's supposed to be an updated version due to come out any day now.
GREAT! I go to convert some files to apple lossless by the way you think that is better use XLD to rip a CD than itunes??? I need convert a lot cds to apple lossless and Iam think on use itunes, I think that is good right?

thanks
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Killyp
macrumors 68040

iTunes-made Apple Lossless rips are identical to the original version on the CD.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:45 PM   #7
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilical View Post
GREAT! I go to convert some files to apple lossless by the way you think that is better use XLD to rip a CD than itunes??? I need convert a lot cds to apple lossless and Iam think on use itunes, I think that is good right?

thanks
The results will be identical. That is the whole point of "lossles". If the files are going to be imported to your iTunes library then use iTunes. XLD is good the files to be converted are on the hard drive and if you have a multi-core machine as XLD will do multiple conversion at the same time but if ripping from CD you can only do one at a time anyways
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

XLD will give you a better chance of getting bit perfect rips than iTunes will. And, more importantly, it will let you know when there is a problem with the rip.

Lossless files will be a perfect copy of the rip, not necessarily the CD itself.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:28 AM   #9
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
XLD will give you a better chance of getting bit perfect rips than iTunes will. And, more importantly, it will let you know when there is a problem with the rip.

Lossless files will be a perfect copy of the rip, not necessarily the CD itself.
why better than itunes for the gap?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 AM   #10
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

This will tell you a bit about the ripping engine in XLD:

http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html

I've spent a bit of time comparing the results of ripping with iTunes and various forms of CDParanoia, and I've found iTunes doesn't do as well on problem CDs as Paranoia. It really only matters if you have scratched or dirty CDs, or a poor quality drive.

There's certainly nothing easier than ripping in iTunes. If your CD collection is in good shape, it can work just fine.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Killyp
macrumors 68040

Quote:

iTunes will always produce a bit perfect rip unless the original disk is in poor condition. It even has an option to read everything twice and checksum at the end (called Use Error Correction).

It's also worth noting that unless your system clock rate is set to 44.1 kHz in Audio MIDI setup, you will get some quantization noise in comparison to using a good external DAC running at 44.1 kHz.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:53 AM   #12
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
iTunes will always produce a bit perfect rip unless the original disk is in poor condition. It even has an option to read everything twice and checksum at the end (called Use Error Correction).
Well, I agree that iTunes rips good if the CDs are in perfect condition.
As for iTunes error correction, why do you think it works that way?
Have you ever seen it give a checksum result?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio