Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arun21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Has anyone had this happen to them yet? I've had my macbook aluminum for about a month and it just happened randomly.

I didn't write down the error but I can probably check the log files. Where do I find the log files? If this keeps happening I'm sure Apple will want to know as well as other users. We havent heard of kernel panics out of macbooks for a while. Im not even sure what caused/causes them.

Any help appreciated.

emil10001

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Has anyone had this happen to them yet? I've had my macbook aluminum for about a month and it just happened randomly.

I didn't write down the error but I can probably check the log files. Where do I find the log files? If this keeps happening I'm sure Apple will want to know as well as other users. We havent heard of kernel panics out of macbooks for a while. Im not even sure what caused/causes them.

Any help appreciated.

System log lives in /var/log/system.log

I am having similar issues. I'll be up and running, then all of a sudden, I get prompted to hold down the power key and reboot. There wasn't much in the log file, except the line:

Code:
localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095

That line was dated several seconds after the following line, like this:

Code:
Jan 23 10:10:00 e-john-feigs-macbook [0x0-0x13013].org.mozilla.firefox[113]: Debugger() was called!
Jan 23 10:44:27 localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095
Jan 23 10:44:17 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled.  No checking performed.Jan 23 10:44:17 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.

And, a quick Google of npvhash=4095 shows that this code might be helpful...

EDIT:
Scratch that, it looks like npvhash=4095 appears every time you boot up.

Not sure what's going on, I'm not getting any sort of consistency from the logfile in terms of a lead-up to the freeze. Wonder where else I should look?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.