Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
mamcx
macrumors regular

Options for print with iPhone?

Hi, for my new app I wanna the option to print tickets (text only).

I wonder if any of the available termic or POS style bluetoot printers work (or can work) with a iPhone app...
mamcx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamcx View Post

I wonder if any of the available termic or POS style bluetoot printers work (or can work) with a iPhone app...
I don't think that is possible with the current sdk.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
fenrus110
macrumors regular

well there are apps that use the wireless network connectivity to download/upload files from and to the phone. you might try doing something along those lines.
fenrus110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:42 PM   #4
wizard
macrumors 68030

Text only over a networked printer ought to be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamcx View Post
If you are doing text only you should be able to print something to a networked printer. Notice the words ought and should, as I haven't done this myself, but right now the only practical way to do so would be over WiFi. For a serially attached printer you might have luck with a WiFi print server.
Quote:

This is where Apple is really screwing the pooch as BluTooth has been all but forgotten from what I can see. Right now they just don't support the profiles that would make this work, not even serial profile. So you can either whine and register a defect with Apple or you can jail break the unit.

Again this is third party but it is my understanding that the hacking crowd has come up with a more robust BluTooth stack. At least that (if it works) would give you an alternative to WiFi. A WiFi has the potential to be more robust if you are walking around with a hand held device so I'd recommend looking in that direction.

I haven't gone looking for any print API's but I'm pretty sure the iPhone SDK comes sans printing capability. You really should need that anyways if the data is a simple txt stream.

Dave

Dave
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
mamcx
macrumors regular

Quote:
For a serially attached printer you might have luck with a WiFi print server.
ANd whta is that? Is possible have a pocket-size wireless printer for a person in the field?
mamcx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming