Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Anyone's iPod have trouble playing songs in apple lossless format?

I'm not sure if thats my case or my iPod is on its way out. I recently filled my ipod with lossless music and at about that time it started to freeze and reboot...

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Since lossless files can be 5-7 times larger, they tend to deplete the cache quicker.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Since lossless files can be 5-7 times larger, they tend to deplete the cache quicker.

Yes I understand that but I thought my APPLE iPod should have no problem playing APPLE lossless files. Draining the battery seems to solve any issues I've had with it.
Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble playing apple lossless on their iPod,iPhone or iTouch?

CanisLupus

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
I've just recently purchased a 3gen 20Gb (second hand) . I'm running iTunes on an old PC . My iPod is running version 2.3 and is nearly full (281Mb free) of all Apple Lossless music , 709 songs . With regularity I get pauses , skips ahead to the next song , freezes etc. . Whenever I restart the song in which the trouble occurred , it then plays fine completely through . My limited research so far has brought suggestions of a. Hard Drive accesses b. Headphone in/out detection feature sensitivity c. Buffer Management ? (not sure) . I would really like to address this issue . Here's a noobie question BTW . Can I determine at any given time what the latest version available is ?
Thanks Everyone !

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have been using Apple Lossless since it first came out on several different iPods including a 2nd gen iPod (and iPhones) and never have a problem related to using it.

eddiel

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Hi all

Long time since I visited this forum but I am hoping that reviving this thread might help me out.

My 120gb classic does not like lossless files at all. Usually the ipod will just crash and takes a while to reset itself when playing lossless files. If I am lucky it will only skip to the next song.

This is a well known fault according to me google searches and I believe the problem is with the cache. I also have trouble playing very large mp3 files.

I have some 1hr long mp3 dj mix type files and they skip as well.

I think it is rather offensive for Apple to release a product like this especially since there is no solution. I had this problem with my 160gb ipod as well.

My question is, does this issue exist with the ipod touch? I am hoping that since it is solid state it doesn't have these issues.

At this point I am considering abandoning Ipod all together and moving to either Sony or Cowon (assuming they don't have the same issue as well).

I know the other brands offer smaller HD sizes, including the ipod touch, but I can work with that.

On a related note does anyone know the address to write to (I am based in the UK) if one wished to write a letter of complaint to Apple? I doubt it would do much good to be honest but it would make me feel better if I had the chance to give them a piece of my very offended mind.

Thanks

Eddie

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Both of my iPhones have played nothing but lossless files, and have always played them without incident. :)

Hberg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Hi all

Long time since I visited this forum but I am hoping that reviving this thread might help me out.

My 120gb classic does not like lossless files at all. Usually the ipod will just crash and takes a while to reset itself when playing lossless files. If I am lucky it will only skip to the next song.

This is a well known fault according to me google searches and I believe the problem is with the cache. I also have trouble playing very large mp3 files.

I have some 1hr long mp3 dj mix type files and they skip as well.

I think it is rather offensive for Apple to release a product like this especially since there is no solution. I had this problem with my 160gb ipod as well.

My question is, does this issue exist with the ipod touch? I am hoping that since it is solid state it doesn't have these issues.

At this point I am considering abandoning Ipod all together and moving to either Sony or Cowon (assuming they don't have the same issue as well).

I know the other brands offer smaller HD sizes, including the ipod touch, but I can work with that.

On a related note does anyone know the address to write to (I am based in the UK) if one wished to write a letter of complaint to Apple? I doubt it would do much good to be honest but it would make me feel better if I had the chance to give them a piece of my very offended mind.

Thanks

Eddie
I have a 2nd Generation 32 Gb iTouch with the latest software. I record all my CDs using Apple Lossless and I have not had an issue with listen to songs. Since I have a rather large music library, I am only able to load only so many songs on my iTouch. If you are okay with only a portion of your library on an iTouch, then that may be an option for you.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have a 3rd Generation iPod Nano....I used Apple's Lossless format for the Eminem CD that came out in May and I had issues.

Some songs on the album are linked to each other (ex. the tracks flow into eachother seamlessly.) BUT on the LossLess format tracks would pause for one second before moving onto the next track.

I thought I had a bad rip, but I ripped the CD again and the same issue. HOWEVER, I just did a high quality MP3 (256k) and I didn't have that issue...the MP3s played just like they did on the CD.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
I've just recently purchased a 3gen 20Gb (second hand) . I'm running iTunes on an old PC . My iPod is running version 2.3 and is nearly full (281Mb free) of all Apple Lossless music , 709 songs . With regularity I get pauses , skips ahead to the next song , freezes etc. . Whenever I restart the song in which the trouble occurred , it then plays fine completely through . My limited research so far has brought suggestions of a. Hard Drive accesses b. Headphone in/out detection feature sensitivity c. Buffer Management ? (not sure) . I would really like to address this issue . Here's a noobie question BTW . Can I determine at any given time what the latest version available is ?
Thanks Everyone !

Mine does this too. It’s a 2G Touch running 3.1 (but this has been happening since at least 3.0, maybe earlier, I don’t remember). None of my files are in lossless.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I have a 3rd Generation iPod Nano....I used Apple's Lossless format for the Eminem CD that came out in May and I had issues.

Some songs on the album are linked to each other (ex. the tracks flow into eachother seamlessly.) BUT on the LossLess format tracks would pause for one second before moving onto the next track.

I thought I had a bad rip, but I ripped the CD again and the same issue. HOWEVER, I just did a high quality MP3 (256k) and I didn't have that issue...the MP3s played just like they did on the CD.

My old nano can't handle apple lossless files without a pause between songs, making gapless playback impossible. Unfortunately the cache is a bit small to deal with the larger files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.