Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
i'm just curious. does anybody find it a problem that all the usb ports are on the left side? especially if you use a usb mouse?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Only with the wired mighty mouse. But dont use that anyway.

There is a problem if your USBs are fat and then they dont fit in all at once. But doesnt normally happen.

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
If you're right handed and your mouse cord is a normal length it should be a good thing. No plug to stab you when mousing too close to the case. I prefer it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
They are close together - so using a USB flash drive and the other USB port is out of the question (unless you have a thinner USB flash drive). Of course, normal USB cables will be fine.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I love that its all on one side now. Its probably my favorite feature of my new Macbook Pro, it makes my desk much neater.

UVa.Jester

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
I was trying to use an old USB mouse I had and was having issues with the signal since all the USB ports were on the left... I'm going to pick up a wireless mighty mouse today becasue it was really frustrating me...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I might want until the 17" has at least 1 usb port on the right to upgrade. I like the mouse cord short.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Its just a case of design over function, if Apple had its way there would be nothing on the right side, it wouldnt be hard for them to make a few usb ports on the left if they wanted too.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Its just a case of design over funtion, if Apple had its way there would be nothing on the right side, it wouldnt be hard for them to make a few usb ports on the left if they wanted too.

Actually it's due to people constantly complaining.

Original: ports on the back, but it's a pain to plug in and remove anything with the laptop open. some pcs are still with this design.

v2: ports both sides, people complain why ports are not on one side, cables out of both sides are messy for some people

v3: ports on one side (partly due to the unibody thing and also due to stress testing), people will complain more.

I have an alum MBP 17" with USB on both sides. I think that works.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I personally wish the new 17" unibody had three USB ports on the left and one on the right, that would be perfect for me.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I've been using a 12" PowerBook for 4.5 years now and haven't had many issues with both USB ports being on the left side. I always used a SanDisk Cruzer Micro flash drive or USB hub.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
thanks for chipping in.

i was just curious because i have the 17" with one usb port on the right side (with the rest on the left) and i thought it may be quite cumbersome and unsightly to have to run a wired mouse around the unibody one.

i'd love to have a wireless mouse, but i wonder how often i'd be caught with the mouse's battery going flat.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I meant to say an old wireless usb mouse... Oops...!!! Sorry for the confusion...

so... its wireless. i cant see the problem though. :D if you need it 3 inches from the transmitter than its pretty much wired ;)

i have no problem with USB ports. i drag the cable behind the screen (i have a wired mouse) and if i need to pop in a usb stick i just use an extention cord.its not the best solution, but i cant say i give a damn about it :D

in a way its still better than having everything all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.