Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Boxheed
macrumors member

Does a JailBreak Slow the IPhone Down?

Hey now! I'm very close to JailBreaking my 1st IPhone ever but I still have some questions I need answered before I make the leap to do it........ Do the JB programs take up much memory/space on the IPhone 3g V2.2? How many kb/mb are they each? Also, I've read others' posts and I'm curious if a JBed phone has more of a "lag" compared to a stock one? Please let me know, even if it is a minor one. Thanks for the help!
Boxheed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:29 PM   #2
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

No.

Jailbreaking does not have any impact on performance.

A word of caution though: while the jailbreaking process does not cause performance problems, it does make it possible to install some software that has been known to cause performance problems. Things like WinterBoard, MobileSubstrate, and Intelliscreen will take up additional RAM (and a bit of CPU time). Sometimes the performance cost of such features is worth it to some users, other times it's not.

Personally I don't use WinterBoard (due to the RAM usage), although my phone is jailbroken. I've got a ton of packages installed from various Cydia repos, and have experienced exactly zero performance problems.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Boxheed
macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! I know this is gonna be a dumb question, but I don't claim to be a computer wiz in the least bit, so........... if I were one of the people who decided the performance cost was not worth the feature and I proceeded to delete the program..... it is 100% gone and will not take up any RAM, right? The performance problems it may have caused would be gone also, and the phone would be as quick as it was before, correct?
Boxheed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxheed View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I know this is gonna be a dumb question, but I don't claim to be a computer wiz in the least bit, so........... if I were one of the people who decided the performance cost was not worth the feature and I proceeded to delete the program..... it is 100% gone and will not take up any RAM, right? The performance problems it may have caused would be gone also, and the phone would be as quick as it was before, correct?
It depends on what it is that's causing trouble.

The performance issues caused by WinterBoard and MobileSubstrate (the most common culprits) will indeed disappear if you remove the corresponding packages. I can't comment on Intelliscreen (not having ever used it myself), but I suspect that the same applies to it.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #5
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxheed View Post

If you click restore in iTunes it will erase any signs of jailbreaking, and it will be like brand new.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
equlizer
macrumors regular

it slows down depending what you install I just un-installed a bunch of things and shes a lot quicker now.
equlizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
it slows down depending what you install I just un-installed a bunch of things and shes a lot quicker now.
Same here. I was using an extensive theme for a while, and there was lag. Not a great deal of lag, but enough to notice. I decided to nix the theme (I was getting bored of it), and went with what you see below (I crossed out my real name where the Carrier logo usually is), plus the AOL "You've Got Mail" for when I get email, and Status Notifier. Of course, I have a bunch of Apps (Backgrounder, NES Emulator, Cycorder, etc) that I got for Cydia, but those wouldn't affect performance unless I'm using them.

I really like it- it's clean and simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	153790  
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I can't reboot my iPhone after the jailbreak process in QuickPwn. I have a thread here if you could take the time to answer that would be great!!

Thanks,
David
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:52 PM   #9
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I can't reboot my iPhone after the jailbreak process in QuickPwn. I have a thread here if you could take the time to answer that would be great!!

Thanks,
David
I tried to help!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:00 AM   #10
OrangeDog
macrumors 6502

Do a Google search. Regardless of what some of these posters report thousands of others complain about lag from jB'n iphones.
OrangeDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:53 AM   #11
ajnicho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDog View Post
Do a Google search. Regardless of what some of these posters report thousands of others complain about lag from jB'n iphones.
Don't listen to OrangeDog, he's totally against Jailbreaking so is bound to be biased.

I've had my phone jailbroken since day one. The jailbreaking alone causes no performance issues. Installing things like winterboard and intelliscreen that run constantly are a drain on memory and your battery. Stay clear of these. E

Even installing things like SBSettings and backgrounder causes little memory drain if you know how to use them properly.
ajnicho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:20 AM   #12
OrangeDog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnicho View Post
Installing things like winterboard and intelliscreen that run constantly are a drain on memory and your battery.
Yep and your non biased?

Winterboard is one of the MOST popular thing installed on JB iPhones.
OrangeDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
ajnicho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yep and your non biased?

So jailbreaking alone doesn't cause a lag, it's what you do with a jailbroken phone that causes the lag. I dont have winterboard, intelliscreen etc because I know it will slow down my phone. I do however use SBSettings, Iphonevideorecorder, swirlymms because thats what I installed it for.

I am not being biased, I am well aware of the downfalls of jailbreaking. You, however, are close minded.
ajnicho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Acronym
macrumors 65816

as apposed to using winterboard a person could Manualy SSH the desired Theme they want, not sure how that would have an effect on lag not to mention that they would be limited to that theme only
Acronym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:21 AM   #15
ppc750fx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronym View Post
as apposed to using winterboard a person could Manualy SSH the desired Theme they want, not sure how that would have an effect on lag not to mention that they would be limited to that theme only
That's actually a good way to customize while avoiding the lag. That said, it's a lot tricker, and you stand a good chance of borking your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

And OrangeDog: Seriously. Your logic sucks. It's equivalent to saying that "Cars cause accidents because some people are bad drivers." Please, for the benefit of all new users, stop spreading FUD.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
jdzialak
macrumors regular

I just put my JB'ed 2G (on TMO) up against a stock AT&T 3G and speed tested them against each other.

I have Intelliscreen, Bluebird theme, Winterboard, and Status Notifier installed, to name a few...

The 3g opened SMS faster by about a second on first try. Closing SMS and re-opening a few more times had them opening simultaneously.
Email was about the same. 1st try was faster on the 3G.
Safari opened faster on my 2G...go figure.

Joe
jdzialak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:01 AM   #17
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

Apple intentionally did not allow running apps in the background as the iphone is limited in power(like any cell phone, or computer for that matter).

Jailbrake programs do not have to live by apples code, so you can have 10 running at once, at your own peril. Just think of running a video, safari, office, etc all at once on your computer.

If you find your phone slowing(I surely don't), be more selective in what you run. No big deal.
aerospace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

I have a jailbroken and unlocked 2G and I have not noticed any lag.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:48 PM   #19
egk69
macrumors 6502

This have been said since post #2, but anyways.

I Jailbroke my 3G, just what they said, it depends on what you install on it, I have winterboard and a few other apps, and its kinda laggy some times, and the apps (every app) crash every now and then ,but its still better and faster that any other windows mobile phone i've used.

MINE (with winterboard and who knows what other apps) its slower than what it was before, kinda annoying sometimes, but anyways I can handle it. Im thinking of just modify the files on the phone via SSH , cuase I only use a few different Icons, and a few things, and I never change it and I think I never will, so I may do that and delete winterboard.

The 1st few days I use it, Jailbroken , but CLEAN (without apps at all) i was exactly the same as it was before jailbreaking it, I test it with my Bro's iPhone and both Perform exactly the same
egk69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Bernie-Mac
Banned

Quote:
Yep and your non biased?

Is the name of the thread "Does Winterboard slow the iPhone down?" Ok then.
Bernie-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 03:12 PM   #21
u49aa2
macrumors 6502a

backgrounder

mine was getting slow after i installed some applications. however as soon as i removed backgrounder. the iphone is back!
u49aa2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:43 AM   #22
carebearstare
macrumors newbie

mine seems to lag through basic things like even typing and scrolling. and when i play need for speed i get choppy frames and long loading times. the only thing i dl-ed was cycorder and memtool. any idea what the problem is?
carebearstare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 03:38 AM   #23
eaglesteve
macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking itself should not slow down the phone. The applications that you install however, may or may not slow it down. Winterboard does incur some performance penalty. You can always uninstall resource hungry application anytime.
eaglesteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:06 PM   #24
carebearstare
macrumors newbie

yea...exactly but i dont think the video recorder is very memory consuming. i do have apps dl-ed from iphone like aim, sparta, and need for speed. dunno if those are the problem
carebearstare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:42 PM   #25
chrisgpix
macrumors member

crashing

I used to have my phone Jailbroken mainly for tethering but thankfully with 3.0 that is longer necessary. I found my phone VERY unreliable in a jailbroken state, the best fault being that the phone would ring but the screen would stay blank meaning you couldn't take the call!...nightmare.
chrisgpix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks