Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1
.Lupo.
macrumors newbie

How to put 2 laptops in too one? sharing screen etc

Ok ok this may sound kind of strange but here it goes...
I have the new macbook pro and a 3 year old macbook pro..
What i want to try and achieve is the thing the mac store does with the big 25 inch desktop screens.. Where you can drag a file from one computer through the screen and on to the other?
So basically i just have one massive 15 inch tv.. like multiplexing them..
Any clues how to do it?
do you not no what the hell i am talking about? or am i just mad

thanks
Absolute
.Lupo. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2
jackiecanev2
macrumors 65816

........huh?

Do you want to have two monitors connected to your computer, spanned? You don't need two computers to do that. Or are you trying to network them together?

And 15" isn't massive anything, and I don't know what that has to do with your question?

Could you rephrase your question a little bit to be more specific?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
dryJ
macrumors newbie

What i think he meant is: can he network 2 Macbook Pro's in such a way that they both share an external screen, and are essentially 1 computer, operable from both machines. I believe that's what he means, but i don't know of any way to do that myself. If it helps, i can draw a diagram, I'm good at those
dryJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4
.Lupo.
macrumors newbie

Basically i have an old computer and a new one, but i want to try and create a sort of network so i can just drag a folder ( say from my new computer) pull it to the right hand side of the screen and goes to the old computer? if you get what i mean?
I just want to try and expand my screen in a way instead of bloody buying a monitor?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5
.Lupo.
macrumors newbie

What i think he meant is: can he network 2 Macbook Pro's in such a way that they both share an external screen, and are essentially 1 computer, operable from both machines. I believe that's what he means, but i don't know of any way to do that myself. If it helps, i can draw a diagram, I'm good at those

Yep thats basically EXACTLY IT LOL
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Tallest Skil
Banned

You can transfer files, but you can't use both monitors as one computer.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:20 PM   #7
DavieBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavieBoy
So I am going to hurt my brain but I think I can help.

I understand you have 2 laptops, I think you meant to say you were going to buy a large monitor or TV.

I would either buy a monitor/TV with multiple inputs or they make adapters that will allow you to toggle from one computer to the other and will let then share a keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Then I would network my computers. All the computers in my house are networked. So i just drag a file from one computers desktop to the others desktop folder. I have added a pic that shows my current desktop with other computers connected.

TIP: use ethernet to network because wireless just is not fast enough for big files.

OR MAYBE: you just want like a remote desktop program. that will let you open, control, and drag files from one computer to another. You can buy apple remote desktop or if both laptops have leopard you can do it right from the OS. I use both ways and both work well.

I have also added a pic of my work cpu looking at my home cpu screen (dual monitor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	49
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	153869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	95
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	153870  
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:22 PM   #8
jackiecanev2
macrumors 65816

you cannot put the computers next to each other and create a giant extended screen. If you want to share files easily, you can network your computers for drag-and-drop, but the sharing will occur within a finder window and not directly from GUI to GUI. You can also share screens, but it won't give you to two-monitor effect that you're looking for.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9
plinden
macrumors 68040

I think he's talking about something like http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html

That kind of thing is likely to be slow (I haven't used it) since it uses VNC.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:36 PM   #10
jackiecanev2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinden View Post
I think he's talking about something like http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html

That kind of thing is likely to be slow (I haven't used it) since it uses VNC.
I think that in addition to being able to share the second screen, he also wants to be able to utilize the computing functions of the computer. As in, merge the two computers and span the screens, so that there is complete functionality of both units with a giant shared screen between the two computers. Which, AFAIK, isn't possible...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:44 PM   #11
DavieBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavieBoy
I guess I could open my 15" macbook pro screen at full quality using the built in screen-sharing. Then I could drag it to my second 19" monitor and I would be doing what he wants. I use remote desktop all day at work with a huge network of 300+ computers and it works well. I use the built it screen sharing at home with 8 computers and it works better because there is a lot less traffic.

But then again I still do not really understand what he is trying to accomplish.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:53 PM   #12
dryJ
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiecanev2 View Post
I think that in addition to being able to share the second screen, he also wants to be able to utilize the computing functions of the computer. As in, merge the two computers and span the screens, so that there is complete functionality of both units with a giant shared screen between the two computers. Which, AFAIK, isn't possible...
I do remember seeing a program that let you utilize up to 4 Windows machines in that manner. The machines had to be on a WIRED network, as they are essentially joined together to make a super computer. This was about 1-2 years ago, and for the life of me can't remember the name of the program. I'll take a look, but obviously, it was for Windows
dryJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:51 PM   #13
wizzracer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to wizzracer
He needs a KVM switch and the software that comes with it to do that. The kicker is you need a third monitor cause he is using laptops which have there own screens.

We did this once with Desktop machines and two CRT's. You don't need the software so much, but it sure helps with setting it up withpot much fuss.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help