Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
ani2A
macrumors newbie

iTunes saying original file could not be found.

In trying to set up shared music among the users of my computer I think I deleted the original file info, even though there was a music folder showing folders for the individual artists in my library. These however now appear to be empty. I have the music listed in iTunes but when I try to open a song I get a window with the following message, "The song "...." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" But no luck locating the files. The guy at the Apple Genius Bar said I could retrieve the music but refused to tell me how because it is supposedly illegal. I don't know why it is illegal because the tunes were purchased. But he did tell me to google the problem and I have come up empty handed. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks
ani2A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Run a system-wide search for .m4p files, or .m4a if you ripped some music from CDs. Incidentally, what exactly did you do while trying to "share" the music between user accounts? Apple has a fairly straightforward set of steps under the following URL to accomplish what it sounds like you're trying to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:39 AM   #3
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
have you checked in the Trash bin lol?
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
ani2A
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
Run a system-wide search for .m4p files, or .m4a if you ripped some music from CDs. Incidentally, what exactly did you do while trying to "share" the music between user accounts? Apple has a fairly straightforward set of steps under the following URL to accomplish what it sounds like you're trying to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203
The URL you supplied is exactly what I followed. But because it was looking like I had duplicate folders of everything. Some went to the trash, must have been the original files. Got any other ideas?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

Are the files still in the trash? If yes, select the files in the trash and try Command-Y.

Otherwise you have deleted the original. It's like throwing your wallet out the window, you lost it.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:54 PM   #6
ani2A
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Are the files still in the trash? If yes, select the files in the trash and try Command-Y.

Otherwise you have deleted the original. It's like throwing your wallet out the window, you lost it.

Checked trash a gazillion times. The result was the same the last time as the first time. Nothing there. I do have 2 folders, one says "iTunes Library.xml" and the other "iTunes Music Library.xml" These seem to have the info from the original iTunes Music folder. Is there a was of translating that info?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:39 PM   #7
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

User/music/itunes/itunes music/ is where your music files should be. Try rebuild iTunes library and point itunes to this folder (user/music/itunes/itunes music).

Last edited by HiFiGuy528; Jan 22, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
HiFiGuy528 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani2A View Post
Checked trash a gazillion times. The result was the same the last time as the first time. Nothing there. I do have 2 folders, one says "iTunes Library.xml" and the other "iTunes Music Library.xml" These seem to have the info from the original iTunes Music folder. Is there a was of translating that info?
Those files are useless unless you have the actual mp3 music files. All those do is hold the metadata and song locations. Unless you can find the music, your in trouble im afraid. Do you know how you did it.?
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Foxer
macrumors 65816

have you typed the song's name into spotlight? Everytime iTunes has "lost" one of my songs, that's the way I find it.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:52 PM   #10
ani2A
macrumors newbie

I will give those suggestions a try. I don't know how I screwed the files up. I spent hours trying to retrieve the info and my mind became mush because I repeated several steps several times.

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:57 PM   #11
giahue98
macrumors newbie

This worked for me....

I have been having the same problems of deleted files. I don't know how it originally happened, but I had many songs with the exclamation point next to the song and when I tried to open it, the message "The song XXXXX could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I would try to locate it with no luck. I looked under the iTunes folder, in Internet Downloads, everywhere I thought it might be, but ended up more frustrated. I'm not very computer saavy, but know how to navigate around things and I know the basics so I was able to find this thread in Apple support. Here's the link. There are a few links on that page, but I clicked on the "To download previously purchased apps, books, or music to your computer" link and it guides you through the steps. You have to download the latest version of iTunes (at the time of this posting it's 10.3). They have a new feature in the iTunes store on the right hand side under "purchased". This has a record of all the music you have purchased in the past in the iTunes store. I went back into my music library and deleted all the songs that had the exclamation point next to it and re-downloaded all the songs. It seemed to work for me, so I hope this helps.
giahue98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:37 AM   #12
captaincookie
macrumors newbie

If you look for your tracks close to the location where they were originally placed (i.e. outside, in the parent folder) you might be lucky to find them. I had recently an exclamation mark issue and was able to find the misplaced songs that way.Otherwise to find where they were originally placed you would need to right-click and then Get-info them.

I am not sure whether you can automate the process but this explains how to find missing iTunes songs.

Last edited by captaincookie; Feb 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
captaincookie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store