Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
60GB iPods on the way? According to a single source at one of Apple's most prolific hard drive suppliers, Cupertino has ordered up a considerable batch of new 60GB drives specifically for use in updated iPods. Delivery has not yet been made, but according to the source, Apple documents in his posession indicate the update in question would take place in early or mid April; pricing is expected to remain stable for the time being.
MacOSRumors.com posts a tidbit suggesting that 60GB iPods are due soon. All I can say is, WOW! Does this mean that we will see a spread of 20/40/60GB on the three models?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is great and all (for those that really need 60GB of music :eek: :confused: ), but I think they should spend their time/money concentrating on their other product lines, that are is serious need of attention :rolleyes:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
edesignuk said:
This is great and all (for those that really need 60GB of music :eek: :confused: ), but I think they should spend their time/money concentrating on their other product lines, that are is serious need of attention :rolleyes:

I agree, 60gig was rumored a while back and looks like it might be happening but its really a side issue (if you can call making a Billion USD off iPods in 2004 a side issue) for a "computer" company.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
The creative Nomad Xtra Zen has been at 60GB for quite some time, and is only neglagabley larger than the iPod (<5mm.) so I can't see why this couldn't come true.

However computer updates would be more benificial at this time, in my humble opinion.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
edesignuk said:

very true, but it's probably a whole lot easier to plunk a bigger HD into an iPod than to figure out cooling issues for a G5 book or iMac...keep milking the iPod for revenue while it's hot.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
If I may quote the Apple statement from the MR front page:
Moving pictures. Moving sound. Moving the industry. Please join Apple for a special presentation at NAB 2004 to see the latest Apple technology
Get it? Moving pictures? 100,000 pictures to go, with the new iPod. mini will be music only, iPod will be with pics (and who knows, video?)...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
TheT said:
If I may quote the Apple statement from the MR front page:
Get it? Moving pictures? 100,000 pictures to go, with the new iPod. mini will be music only, iPod will be with pics (and who knows, video?)...

Darn, and i jut got my 20gb iPod last month!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i don't think it's much of a rumor... it's bound to happen some time, as long as HD density keeps on increasing and prices decreasing...

instead of looking at 60 GB = 15,000 songs ( :eek: ), how about looking at it as 7,500 songs at twice the bitrate (256 kbps)? 10,000 songs at 192 kbps? that ought to please some audiophiles out there...

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Although my 126 GB music collection would love to fit on a iPod hard drive.. I would rather a G5 powerbook, and an updated cinema display

- Doc

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
D0ct0rteeth said:
Although my 126 GB music collection would love to fit on a iPod hard drive.. I would rather a G5 powerbook, and an updated cinema display

- Doc

126GB?!?!! Either you forgot to compress them to mp3/aac when you imported, or you have every version of every song ever!!

If it is the latter (and you have not pirated the music;)), my hat is off to you.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
126 GB = ??

126 GB is roughly 30,000 songs at 128 kbps. 30,000!!! that's around 3,000 CDs.

assuming each CD jewel case to be quarter inch thick (it's actually thicker, i believe), that's 750 inches = 62 1/2 feet = nearly 21 yards. you can string your cases together and it will reach across most residential swimming pool! or make 6 towers reaching the basketball hoop!!

at 3 minutes per song (it's probably longer...), that's 90,000 minutes of music = 1500 hours = 62 1/2 days = 2 months!!

you can set your music collection to play in random and play 24/7 for a year and you'll hear any given song only 6 times.

DANG!

edit: i forgot one thing... at $10 (at the least) per CD, that's a $30,000 collection... yeah, D0c, you could have bought many, many powerbooks and cinema displays for that much... :p

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Now you need to figure out how you can find that many songs that you will actually want to listen to, hah!

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
jxyama said:
126 GB is roughly 30,000 songs at 128 kbps. 30,000!!! that's around 3,000 CDs.

Actually i have 22,631 songs (2044 albums). Most of the collection was because I digitized my cd collection, sold the cds, bought more, sold those, bought more... and so on.. just a small percentage were purchased from the ITMS

jxyama said:
you could have bought many, many powerbooks and cinema displays for that much... :p

I have a powerbook and until a few weeks ago I had a cinema display, my initial comment was that although I would love to have my collection fit on an iPod I would much rather have a decent G5 powerbook and the cinema displays are long overdue for an upgrade.

Apple seems to have thrown tons of muscle into the iPod and music field, and imagine those resources came from both internal and the eMagic buy out. So where are the imnprovements on the rest of the hardware? Its not a lack of resources...

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
You're right, there are a few things that do need updates...the displays are one of them. I'd love to see new displays before I get my G5 (hopefully within the next year) and it's not even that I don't like the ones that are out right now, but that technology is ever changing, and Apple is making amazing products in every area they are in, and I want that newest Apple trademark look that I'm sure they will come out with...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
D0ct0rteeth said:
my initial comment was that although I would love to have my collection fit on an iPod I would much rather have a decent G5 powerbook and the cinema displays are long overdue for an upgrade.

yeah, i know what you meant in your initial post. ;)

oh, i calculated 30,000 songs based on the fact 40 GB iPod claims 10,000 song capacity... and i *knew* you didn't get them from iTMS. :p

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
jxyama said:
yeah, i know what you meant in your initial post. ;)

oh, i calculated 30,000 songs based on the fact 40 GB iPod claims 10,000 song capacity... and i *knew* you didn't get them from iTMS. :p

Im not breaking your balls bro.. just clarifying.. ;)

but the real bitch is.. I have nothing to listen to :)

- Doc

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
D0ct0rteeth said:

- Doc

Are you the person who spent $29,500 on the iTunes Music Store? Steve Jobs announced that during the MacWorld Expo in January.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Chip NoVaMac said:
If a 60gb iPod is true, i see the line up going 15/30/60. Makes more sense longterm.

I do hope they update them to 60 gig. Then Ill sit back and wait for the "Dude you can get 15 gigs more and a dock, remote & case for only $100 more" comments. But I'm not bitter about anyone who spoke ill about the Mini.

I do think the higher capacities will bring the potential for new functionality to the iPod. New hardware add-ons as well. Here's to hoping.

Does anyone think we will ever see Bluetooth or some sort of wireless connectivity in the iPods? Would it be fast enough? I personally think it would be very handy, but maybe it's not for the masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.