Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
iaddict
macrumors 6502

Burned CDs won't play in car stereo

Okay, I've done this before, so I know that my car stereo will burn recorded CDs....not CD-RWs but just the CD-Rs. So, the last two CDs that I've burned won't play in the car. I played them fine on my Mac so I know the CDs aren't bad. Is there a setting in my iTunes that I could have changed to make the content unreadable in the car player? I don't know alot about these things so I would need step by step instructions to find settings etc and what to change it to.

Thanks!
iaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Be sure to burn as audio-CD, not as dataCD or MP3-CD.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
keekl
macrumors regular

Where is that option?

One thing I found, I burned music and it played on CD player in house but wouldn't in car (1991 honda) and someone suggested the player may not be able to play burned CDs?

HP Pavilion G7 i3 Win 7
Inter arma enim silent leges
keekl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:29 AM   #4
iaddict
macrumors 6502

Oh...okay!

How embarassing! I just checked my settings and it was set to Data CD. I feel really dumb!! Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that's all it was.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaddict View Post
How embarassing! I just checked my settings and it was set to Data CD. I feel really dumb!! Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that's all it was.
Also...don't burn audio cds faster than 8x....many cd players will have trouble playing them. Besides, burning at 8x is fast enough for a 70minute disc (about 10 minutes to burn...not very long)...and more importantly, it's not a coaster!
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Also...don't burn audio cds faster than 8x....many cd players will have trouble playing them. Besides, burning at 8x is fast enough for a 70minute disc (about 10 minutes to burn...not very long)...and more importantly, it's not a coaster!
Personally, I burn them at the lowest setting and have had great results.

At 4x or faster I've had issues depending on the CD maker with older CD players like the one in the OPs 1991 Honda.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:13 AM   #7
keekl
macrumors regular

Where are the settings? Do I need to use 3d party software?

HP Pavilion G7 i3 Win 7
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:18 AM   #8
keekl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Personally, I burn them at the lowest setting and have had great results.

At 4x or faster I've had issues depending on the CD maker with older CD players like the one in the OPs 1991 Honda.
I see the settings are when the burning~I'm going to try it at the 4x speed and see how it works

HP Pavilion G7 i3 Win 7
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
iaddict
macrumors 6502

settings

You find the settings in the lower right hand corner of iTunes where it says Burn Disk. When you click on that a pop up window appears where you can choose burn speed and what type of disk you want to burn, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaddict View Post
No it is not dumb. My $99.95 Sony car stereo can play MP3 CDs. I burn them in iTunes and can fits about 6 albums on one CD and the album and track names show up on the little LCD panel. Not bad for $100.

So it's not dumb, worth a try really. Most modern CD/CVD plays will play MP3 data discs My new BluRay players will play MP3 discs burned by iTunes too
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:31 PM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
No it is not dumb. My $99.95 Sony car stereo can play MP3 CDs. I burn them in iTunes and can fits about 6 albums on one CD and the album and track names show up on the little LCD panel. Not bad for $100.

So it's not dumb, worth a try really. Most modern CD/CVD plays will play MP3 data discs My new BluRay players will play MP3 discs burned by iTunes too
While you're trying out things, you can try creating an MP3 DVD with 4 GB or 90 CDs worth of music. Many cheap DVD players will play them with no problems.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:53 PM   #12
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
While you're trying out things, you can try creating an MP3 DVD with 4 GB or 90 CDs worth of music. Many cheap DVD players will play them with no problems.
Today's players are so much more versatile than the ones 10-15 years ago.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:44 PM   #13
keekl
macrumors regular

It worked! Burning at 4x enabled my old cd player to play them-I don't understand the science, but it sure sounds great in the car

HP Pavilion G7 i3 Win 7

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod