Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all,

I have several JPG pictures on my 160gig iPod. All are high resolution (about 3MB each) at around 2592x1944 resolution.

In iTunes 7.x, there is an option to also copy the entire, full quality picture to my iPod...so that got me thinking "well, then what is iTunes doing to my picture when that checkbox is NOT selected?"

So...given that I am not selecting that option, I gather Apple is doing one or many of the following:

1)Transferring the full quality picture, but obviously only showing it in the max resolution that the screen is capable of. If I later decide to enable the full quality option (which in turn enables file sharing), I will have access to this full quality photo via the iPod's file sharing capabilities.

2)Converting the picture to a lower quality picture (in order to save space) so that it matches the screen resolution...then moves that converted photo to the iPod (and hence not the original full quality) afterall, what's the sense in having a 2592x1944 photo if the screen can only produce 320x240 (the current spec for iPod Classic)?

Any ideas? I've been on Apple's Support site and cannot find anything. Google doesn't find my answer either.

I am hoping it is #2...this way I could transfer hundreds of high quality photos but iTunes will convert them to a much lower quality...so instead of sucking up say 25gigs of full quality resolution they would only suck up 5gig or less (for example) on my iPod.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Try transferring 10 pictures (or 100) over to the ipod and see how much space gets used, it should be relatively easy to see if they are taking up 100MB or 300MB on the ipod. Then you know what it is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.