Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1
macman4789
macrumors regular

iPod Music Quality

Hi,

Does the quality of music produced by each iPod differ? For example does the classic sound better than the shuffle? Or the iPod nano sound better than the iPhone? I would have thought they would be made with the same 'chip' or technology.

I'm no expert but I would have thought they all sound the same with the headphones making all the difference?

Is this correct?

Thanks
macman4789 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Herodotis
macrumors newbie

The shuffle can't handle the higher quality music files like apple lossless. I've got a shuffle and a nano and you can definately hear the difference between the lossless file on the nano and the 128-320 version on the shuffle. I believe the other ipods are like the nano and can take the higher quality files. The headphones also make a huge difference, the included Apple ones are ok for what they are, basic. With a better set, the sound is great.

Cheers,
Herodotis
1 GB iPod Shuffle, 16 GB iPod Nano
Herodotis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Resist
macrumors 68030

The sound quality should be whatever the music is recorded at not the device it is played on, unless the device or speakers/headphones are damaged.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4
macman4789
macrumors regular

Could anyone tell me why the shuffle cannot play lossless and all other ipod models can?

Thanks
macman4789 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:09 PM   #5
nick9191
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4789 View Post
Could anyone tell me why the shuffle cannot play lossless and all other ipod models can?

Thanks
Presumably because it's the half the size of a match box and costs $49.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Sgt.Pepper
macrumors member

Well the 5G and 5.5G iPods have better components inside them, and I imagine it makes a difference.
The people who do iMods only take 5G and 5.5G iPods, doing it with lesser components isn't worth it.
http://redwineaudio.com/
Those are the people who do it, you can navigate to the section if you like.
Their products are top notch.

How can Hip-Hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Last edited by Sgt.Pepper; Jan 23, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Sgt.Pepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
stevod
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
The sound quality should be whatever the music is recorded at not the device it is played on, unless the device or speakers/headphones are damaged.
The device can make a big difference, as that's what's decompressing the audio files, converting it to analogue so you can hear it, then amplifying it for your headphones. Different kit will do this in different ways, with potentially different results.

My Classic sounds a lot better than my 3G.

The 5G mods are supposed to be impressive, but I read that the Classic is a good jump forward from the 5G, and that the mods didn't have as much impact (as well as being more difficult).

Obviously the file/bitrate quality and 'phones quality is going to make a big difference too.

S

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod