Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Apple's financial results conference call today, the company responded to questions about both a low end iPhone as well as the possibility of an Apple "netbook". Both topics have been the subject of speculations and rumor over the past few months.

Apple dismissed the possibility of a "low-end" iPhone which has discussed extensively. In some reports, the low-end iPhone has been one-in-the-same as the rumored iPhone Nano. In response to a question about iPhone pricing, however, Tim Cook revealed that a low-end iPhone seems unlikely:
We're not going to play in the low-end voice phone business. That's not who we are, that's not why we're here. Goal is not to lead unit sales, but to build the world's best phone.
Cook also continued to downplay Apple's interest in the "netbook" market:
We're watching that space, but from our pov the products are based on hardware that's much less powerful, software technology that's not good, cramped displays. We don't think that people are going to be pleased with those type of products. It's a category we watch, we have some ideas here, but we think the products there now are inferior and won't provide the kind of experience people want.
This wait-and-see attitude mirrors comments by Steve Jobs from the last financial results conference call in October.

Article Link: Apple Answers Questions About Low-end iPhone and Mac Netbooks

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes, I tried those "netbooks" - won't even run Apple HD videos. I think maybe the next gen ones will with the new Intel 500 chipset, or if someone builds them with the nVidia Ion.

But, the screen is too small and the keys are cramped. You might as well just use an iPhone or iPod Touch - which is what Apple is pushing...

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I really don't think a low-end iPhone would be useful. I love the iPhone for its connectivity (internet, mail, apps) and I feel that a basic iPhone would be very basic, unable to do some of the great things that the iPhone can. So I agree with Apple for this move, or lack there of.

I do think that an Apple netbook would be kind of cool though. And it could connect to ATT 3G! But I guess the MacBook Air is their small, portable notebook, so there isn't really a need for a netbook at this time.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I completely agree with apple. Apart from that, I would hate them to start making cheap netbooks as I feel they would lose the image of providing quality, well designed products.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
hp's aluminum mini-note and sony's P are probably the two most well built netbooks…so i'd imagine apple's netbook to be similar to both of those

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Yes, I tried those "netbooks" - won't even run Apple HD videos. I think maybe the next gen ones will with the new Intel 500 chipset, or if someone builds them with the nVidia Ion.

But, the screen is too small and the keys are cramped. You might as well just use an iPhone or iPod Touch - which is what Apple is pushing...

they're not for everyone. but i've been on mine for 8 hours today and its perfect for my needs and many users needs. i don't need a high power laptop with me at all times. something small. super portable and lightweight is much better for my day to day on the go uses. which is what a netbook fulfills for a lot of people without a high price tag.

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
They say they want to build the best phone, then why not add MMS? that makes little to no sense to me.

theGoodLife

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Tim says that they are not going to play in the low end voice phone market. Thing is, iPhone is by no means a plain voice phone, but rather an elaborate smartphone. Am I reading into it too much, or is there some meaning behind it. :confused:

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
At the end of the day, I don't think Apple would have much to gain from going into the Netbook market. After all, it's already saturated with Asus EEEs and so on. Judging by the corners they cut on the EEE to reduce the cost of the machine, I'm not sure Apple would feel happy with sacrificing quality to get a netbook that people would pay for.

In any case, based on a lack of features and size, the Macbook Air is pretty much the equivalent of a netbook, but hardly in the same league as existing netbooks (especially given the ridiculous price tag!)

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
iPhone Nanot... finally some truth, can we move on and make the iPhone the best phone possible.

same size, Bigger screen
more functionality
cheaper phone plans

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
They say they want to build the best phone, then why not add MMS? that makes little to no sense to me.

the best phone has nothing to do with putting together all the features you can think of, and I understand MMS is vital to some or even many.

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah

Yeah, I guess that makes sense for Apple. I just wonder what all of those case companies were thinking...:confused:

On the netbook part, I think Apple could make a low-end netboo, but still make it high-end, if that makes any sense. :apple:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A netbook can be a great machine--I wouldn't mind having the option. But to be worth selling it, there have to be enough people who WILL NOT accept a MacBook Air, a MacBook, a white MacBook, an iPod Touch, or an iPhone. The people who would prefer a netbook but will "settle" for one of those alternatives are not going to add sales, they'll cannibalize sales.

So I can see how the market might be too small right now. If that changes, it would be cool to see a Mini Air :) 8" screen, smaller keys, just as thin... sign me up!

Meanwhile, the iPod Touch is Apple's netbook! My need for an ultraportable has dropped hugely since I can do so much on my iPhone instead, and price-wise an iPod is very affordable.

If you need FULL computing (that neither a netbook nor an iPod provides), you have to pay more... but the Air is a great subnotebook.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

The Dell mini 12 would be the smallest that I could ever see a useful notebook going. Oh, wait. That's the 12" PowerBook. erm, what if Apple released a $500 12" NetBook powered with a G4 :eek:

Hahahahaha

/end random ramblings

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The Netbook is dead. Long live the notebook!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-10145482-23.html?tag=mncol

The Netbook is dead. Long live the notebook!
Posted by Peter Glaskowsky

Much coverage of this year's Consumer Electronics Show is full of references to new Netbooks introduced at the show. But in fact, there were hardly any Netbooks at all, and those that did appear went almost unmentioned.

The truth is, the Netbook is dead, and good riddance. The concept of the Netbook was based on a tragic misunderstanding: ...

The point of the article is that the "new" netbooks are slightly larger (10"-11" screen) full function notebooks, not the limited devices like the early netbooks.

In other words, Netbooks running Windows 7 and other full systems are the future - netbooks are just smaller than ultra-portables, not a different kind of device.

As I said in another thread recently, I'd expect Apple's "netbook" to be an 11" MacBook Air, not an eeePC clone.

Stormbringer

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Good, then they'll update the iPhone instead of adding a "semi-iPhone"! And I want a full sized iPhone!!!:D

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-10145482-23.html?tag=mncol

The point of the article is that the "new" netbooks are slightly larger (10"-11" screen) full function notebooks, not the limited devices like the early netbooks.

In other words, Netbooks running Windows 7 and other full systems are the future - netbooks are just smaller than ultra-portables, not a different kind of device.

As I said in another thread recently, I'd expect Apple's "netbook" to be an 11" MacBook Air, not an eeePC clone.

I think you're right. Apple will shrink down the Air and add Multitouch. But don't expect it to be cheap. Apple will push the portability and muti-touch angle, not the cost. I say it'll be the new $1000 portable in the line-up, once Apple phases out the plastic Macbooks.

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
the best phone has nothing to do with putting together all the features you can think of, and I understand MMS is vital to some or even many.

Its not that its even vital, all phones can do it, and they wont even give an explanation why they wont put it in there. If Steve jobs came and said hey we aren't putting it in for (insert good reason here). that would be fine, but it seems like things are falling on deaf ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.