Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
unsure if this has already been done, but i wouldn't mind having MBAir owners post their xBench results here...

i would like to have the results for all 8 configurations eventually..shouldn't be too difficult to get all of the info :D

I'll start it off with the xBench results for the rev B 1.86 SSD config.

now we just need the following:
rev A 1.6 HDD= 42.01
rev A 1.6 SSD= 52.61
rev A 1.8 HDD= 47.14
rev A 1.8 SSD= 62.20
rev B 1.6 HDD= 81.95
rev B 1.6 SSD= 122.34 (thanks hippie54 :) )
rev B 1.86 HDD= 101.86
rev B 1.86 SSD= 137.75

edit: posted results from the link that glitch provided...

Attachments

• MBAir_revB_1.86_SSD.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 321

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
yes, there are several. look at the type.

guess i should have looked before i posted *d'oh*

grabbed some scores and posted them...

so it looks like the switch to SATA II connector and the graphics card upgrades did alot for benchmark scores...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for sharing. Now it makes my decision to get the refurbs much harder.

Should make the decision easier. The first MBA was merely a Netbook. The second MBA is a real MB in super-portable form.

The MBA v2 is a better value at full price than is a MBA v1 for half the refurbished price.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
Should make the decision easier. The first MBA was merely a Netbook. The second MBA is a real MB in super-portable form.

The MBA v2 is a better value at full price than is a MBA v1 for half the refurbished price.

I own Rev A & B MBA's, both with SSD's and for what I use my computer for (email, office, web) see little noticeable difference in performance between the two. If I had to do it again, I would hands down have purchased a Refurb A with the SSD over the B with SSD. If you NEED more graphics horsepower, a Rev B is the clear choice!

Here is my xbench for Rev A 1.6GHz with SSD.
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=338141

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
I own Rev A & B MBA's, both with SSD's and for what I use my computer for (email, office, web) see little noticeable difference in performance between the two. If I had to do it again, I would hands down have purchased a Refurb A with the SSD over the B with SSD. If you NEED more graphics horsepower, a Rev B is the clear choice!

out of curiosity, what are the boot times for rev a SSD vs rev b SSD?

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

Now THAT made my decision easier. I'm almost 100% sure I'll buy the rev a SSD refurb then. I really just need a nice netbook. :)

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
very good thread.

I got the rev b hhd model because I had the rev a ssd model. To be honest, it couldn't do basic flash movie viewing while my friends netbook could do it. IE: Goto hulu, watch full screen (non HD) and let it go. It'll start stuttering (core drop).

With the rev b 1.6 model, I can watch hulu full screen in HD no problem. Even CBS HD. I also stream 1080p mkv's from my time capsule hard drive. The first gen would stutter.

Coolbook mitigated a lot of those problems, however, I still felt it was underpowered.

At the current prices though. The 1.6/hdd model looks nice! 999!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Now THAT made my decision easier. I'm almost 100% sure I'll buy the rev a SSD refurb then. I really just need a nice netbook. :)

I think the xBench results should prove to everyone that the revB is the best way to go. The revB 1.6 with HDD is far faster/better than a revA 1.8 SSD. The results go much higher for the other revB models.

I have a revB, 1.86 with SSD, and it seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned. It boots in less than 30 seconds. It opens apps instantly. It plays HD video perfectly. It never freezes overheats or experiences core shutdown like my revA MBA.

The differences are night and day and these marks clearly show it. Go MacBook Air revB and don't look back.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
I think the xBench results should prove to everyone that the revB is the best way to go. The revB 1.6 with HDD is far faster/better than a revA 1.8 SSD. The results go much higher for the other revB models.

I have a revB, 1.86 with SSD, and it seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned. It boots in less than 30 seconds. It opens apps instantly. It plays HD video perfectly. It never freezes overheats or experiences core shutdown like my revA MBA.

The differences are night and day and these marks clearly show it. Go MacBook Air revB and don't look back.

+1 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.