Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Chundles
macrumors G4

Wowzers at Apple? They're censoring the work "SUCK" now.

Have a look, on the US iTunes store there is a song called "Life would suck without..." by Kelly Clarkson. I don't know the full name because I can't be stuffed clicking on it. Dennis Leary also has something called "Why we Suck."

On both of these tracks the word "suck" is censored as "S**k" the same as "******" is on most things.

Only on the US store though, the Aussie store is there in all it's glory but then you can put "*********" on the front page of our national papers uncensored so it's no big deal.

Any comments? Political correctness gone too far? I think so.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

Why am I tempted to post

"Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"

On the iTunes store on the Simpsons page
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Gyrferret
macrumors regular

Perhaps it's just apple being precautious because of the use of the word in the title of a song. And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....

ya' never know....
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrferret View Post
Perhaps it's just apple being precautious because of the use of the word in the title of a song. And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....

ya' never know....

Nope, even in the US where apparently it's never someone's own fault something happens, it's always the other person's and you should always sue them, the idea that the word "suck" is offensive is preposterous.

Next they'll be giving the asterix treatment to the words "job" and "hole" and "crevice" etc.

I just don't understand it but then we can show any Gordon Ramsey show uncensored as long as it starts after 9:30pm. I don't think you can do that in the Puritanical States of America.

OK, that was a bit harsh...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:20 AM   #5
EricNau

Well, that s**ks.

EDIT: ...What? MacRumors is censoring it too?!

EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Nope, even in the US where apparently it's never someone's own fault something happens, it's always the other person's and you should always sue them, the idea that the word "suck" is offensive is preposterous.

Next they'll be giving the asterix treatment to the words "job" and "hole" and "crevice" etc.

I just don't understand it but then we can show any Gordon Ramsey show uncensored as long as it starts after 9:30pm. I don't think you can do that in the Puritanical States of America.

OK, that was a bit harsh...
First of all, you stole my thunder on this since I posted on it last night. But I digress!

I found it odd that "Suck" was censored in Kelly Clarkson's song title while "Hell" wasn't in the All-American Rejects song that is No. 2 on the list. What the suck?

Yes, some sucky parent would probably sue, even though it's their responsibility what suck their kids can see. We can show war on the news, but don't let the kids hear a bad word!!!!! Also, I've never figured out what you can say "god" and "damn" but not those two back-to-back. Same goes with "ass" and "hole." What the suck?

Speaking of censorship, I can't stand these stupid edited versions of music videos. I would like to buy Fall Out Boy's "This Ain't A Scene, It's an Arms Race," but only the clean version is available. If some crappy rapper can sing about jazz or whatever in his pants, can we not get uncut music videos?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:55 AM   #7
svndmvn

http://www.apple.com/startpage/
this is my home page and it's not censored there, I clicked on the song's name and my itunes store doesn't censor it either.
svndmvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndmvn View Post
http://www.apple.com/startpage/
this is my home page and it's not censored there, I clicked on the song's name and my itunes store doesn't censor it either.
The Web site doesn't censor it, but the iTunes Store does. Sounds like some shady non-censoring deal you Italians have going on. That sucks.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:26 AM   #9
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

The poor people who live in S****horpe are used to forums/web sites censoring it's name.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Have a look, on the US iTunes store there is a song called "Life would suck without..." by Kelly Clarkson. I don't know the full name because I can't be stuffed clicking on it. Dennis Leary also has something called "Why we Suck."

On both of these tracks the word "suck" is censored as "S**k" the same as "******" is on most things.

Only on the US store though, the Aussie store is there in all it's glory but then you can put "*********" on the front page of our national papers uncensored so it's no big deal.

Any comments? Political correctness gone too far? I think so.
Really? I'd have thought Australia was far more draconian in it's censorship given the amount of games that are banned/toned down and the recent trials for a national net filter.
Padraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:14 AM   #11
gkarris
macrumors 604

I used to used that word a lot but in some circles, I guess people find it offensive - as I *think* it's meaning stems from the Adult Industry....
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:03 AM   #12
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

That blows.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:12 AM   #13
dejo

Quote:
Nope, even in the US where apparently it's never someone's own fault something happens, it's always the other person's...
Meanwhile, back at the ranch:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=637734
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:55 AM   #14
scotty96LSC
macrumors 65816

That inhales.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:57 AM   #15
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Funny, in the Top Songs list it's not censored.
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:42 PM   #16
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrferret View Post
And maybe there's a parent out there that sues apple for exposing their child to the word prematurely....
Ironic, considering that "sucking" is one of the first things a child does.

Quote:
but then you can put "*********" on the front page of our national papers .
Sadly, I find that true for American newspapers as well; most of what is put on the front page is "*********".
Gasu E. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:22 PM   #17
zephead
macrumors 68000

I first noticed that probably about a year ago - there's a South Park episode named "Summer Sucks", with it changed to "s***s". I figured they were just going with "better safe than sorry" because it was South Park, but if they censor "sucks" everywhere else, and "hell" isn't censored (though I'm fine with that), then there's definitely something sucky going on.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:47 PM   #18
Tom B.
macrumors 65816

Maybe it's a 'database glitch' like iTunes UK had a couple of months ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodo
Thanks to a *********g stupid error, the iTunes Music Store in the UK has accidentally censored thousands of songs, albums, and artists' names. Innocent songs—like Danny Kaye's "I Thought I Saw A P***y Cat"—and not-so-innocent ones—like Nirvana's "Smells Like T**n Spirit"—have been asterisked by what an Apple spokeswoman has described as a "database glitch". Why "teen", "hot" or "Johnny" can be considered offensive, I really don't have a flying ******, but things look rather silly in there:
Thumb resize.
Yeah, definitely looks ****ed up to me. Oops.

According to Apple UK, the problem happened when they tried to censor potentially offensive words, and here is precisely where I get lost, because they were looking for "teen", "hot" or "Johnny". Hello? I understand a database glitch leading to innocent songs to be censored, but that word selection? For sure, the dick and the dyke in "D**k Van D**e" can be considered offensive by some, but the Johnny in "J****y Cash" or the hot in Avril Lavigne's "H*t"?

Seems to me like a level of idiotic politically correct censorship that not even the FCC will apply here in the United States. [BBC News]
Tom B. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:02 PM   #19
NotAnotherSN
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to NotAnotherSN
I saw a while ago a podcast for abridged childrens versions of classic novels. Amongst them was "Moby D**k."
NotAnotherSN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:05 PM   #20
paulej69
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Really? I'd have thought Australia was far more draconian in it's censorship given the amount of games that are banned/toned down and the recent trials for a national net filter.
No, Australia is pretty free and easy when it comes to showing boobs and swearwords on TV (after a certain hour).

The videogame debacle is due to ONE state Attorney-General (looking at you, South Australia) who refuses to allow an 18+ (R) classification for games - the law requires agreement of all state attorneys-general before classifications can be changed. Sucks.

As for the net filter - it won't happen - there has already been a massive backlash against it, with very little public support for what will block an unspecified number of unspecified websites - no one here trusts the government to decide what we should and shouldn't see.
paulej69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:07 PM   #21
ChrisN
macrumors 65816

Yeah i saw that and I thought it was ****** at first but then I saw the k...

ChrisN
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:11 PM   #22
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnotherSN View Post
I saw a while ago a podcast for abridged childrens versions of classic novels. Amongst them was "Moby D**k."
This would allow for the very appropriate complaint letter:

Quote:
Dear sir or madam,

S**k my Moby D**k.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Gyrferret
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
Ironic, considering that "sucking" is one of the first things a child does.
Ironic indeed, as people s**king leads to children sometimes.

But, again, it's all about use. Like the episode of Southpark, where ****** is made uncensored.

I stepped in ******:

Mike's a piece of ******:
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:45 PM   #24
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekielrage_99 View Post
Why am I tempted to post

"Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"
haha, thanks for that.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:05 AM   #25
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

For those who care, it's no longer censored on the iTunes store. I guess Apple sucked it up and unbleeped the song title.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod