Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:43 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs draws $1 paycheck again.

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Steve Jobs draws $1 paycheck again.
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Photorun
Banned

Sometimes I think that's too little, other times maybe too much. I'm not thinking he'll be trading in that free Learjet any time soon for cash!
Photorun is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Jobs has taken a 20% of the market company and made them a 1.7% but they have money in the bank. is that good or bad I wonder? maybe they should give him $2.00
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:17 PM   #4
alxths
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
Jobs has taken a 20% of the market company and made them a 1.7% but they have money in the bank. is that good or bad I wonder? maybe they should give him $2.00
woah.. are you saying that in 1997 20% of computers sold were macs? I thought apple was in a big slump then?
alxths is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:54 AM   #5
stoid
macrumors 68040

I think that Steve's return to Apple has been nothing but good for them. He simplified the product line, introduced the revolutionary iMac, Mac OS X, and made using a computer a pleasure that it never was before. In fact, the direction Apple had been heading I might not be typing this post on an insanely thin yet amazingly powerful laptop with a spiffy-as-hell backlit keyboard so that I can hunt-and-peck in the dark. So I say, thank you Steve!
stoid is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:12 AM   #6
JamesDPS
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to JamesDPS Send a message via AIM to JamesDPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxths
woah.. are you saying that in 1997 20% of computers sold were macs? I thought apple was in a big slump then?
You must not remember as well as Don't Hurt Me and myself -- in '97, MORE than 20% of the world's computers were Macs! And all that debt Apple was in at the time was just a *rumor* started by Microsoft (which owned IBM at the time) so that their "bail-out" money would look more important. Of course, that's when the only noteworthy markets for Intel-based computers were education, science and media pros.

Seriously, I've always though Jobs somewhat of a megalomaniac, but he's turned Apple around in an unbelievable way -- he should get another free jet or something!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 07:25 AM   #7
trebblekicked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to trebblekicked
if jobs wasn't at the helm, apple would have gone kerplunk with the dot-conomy. i say if he wants a dollar, a dollar he shall have. if he wants a plane, a plane he shall have. if he wants my wife, he'd better check his sources because i'm not married. but were i marrried and jobs wanted my wife, i'd have to at least consider it.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:10 AM   #8
1macker1
Banned

i smell a rat and his name is sboJ evetS. I think the guy is a arrogrant jackass, but that's just my opinion. I like apple computers, but i dislike SJ.
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:20 AM   #9
g30ffr3y
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to g30ffr3y
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1macker1
i smell a rat and his name is sboJ evetS. I think the guy is a arrogrant jackass, but that's just my opinion. I like apple computers, but i dislike SJ.
he is an arrogant jackass megalomaniac... but what cult leader isnt... hehehe... its what makes him cool...

01.29.04 begin
01.29.07 engage
05.17.08 forever
g30ffr3y is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:52 AM   #10
CalfCanuck
macrumors 6502a

But he got $75 million in stock last year ...

Last year he was awarded 5 million shares last March, so he's done all right by Apple.

Here's the info on insider trading from nytimes.com:

Steven P Jobs
Declared Holdings
Relationship/Company Reported Shares Value
**Chief Executive Officer
**Apple Computer, Inc.
03/19/2003 5.00Million as of: 03/19/2003 $ 74.75M
as of: 03/11/2004 $ 135.75M

edit - I see that was in the original story - but the share's value have still increased 80% to $135 million, so let's not cry too much for him

Last edited by CalfCanuck; Mar 12, 2004 at 09:55 AM.
CalfCanuck is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:51 AM   #11
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDPS
You must not remember as well as Don't Hurt Me and myself -- in '97, MORE than 20% of the world's computers were Macs! And all that debt Apple was in at the time was just a *rumor* started by Microsoft (which owned IBM at the time) so that their "bail-out" money would look more important. Of course, that's when the only noteworthy markets for Intel-based computers were education, science and media pros.
96/97 was the year that I stopped using my Performa and moved to Windows. It wasn't because of the debt rumours but because the Macs on offer didn't look as attractive as the Intels on offer back then (not lookwise - although there wasn't much between them)! I'd also encouraged a few friends to buy Powermacs in 94/95 who'd had nightmares with quality, compatibility with files between Mac and PC and decided to leave the Mac behind.

It wasn't until the coloured iMacs came out that I thought 'oooh, that looks fun' but the hassle that I'd had back in the early 90s stopped me looking much closer, particulary since I wasn't having trouble with Windows. It wasn't until the anglepoise iMacs and OSX that I looked seriously at Macs (and that was only through a friend encouraging me to look at theirs when I mentioned I was laptop hunting)

SJ gets recompensed well (aside from salary!)- and he has ideas and flaws like every other CEO - but he has made Macs more acceptable again.
Applespider is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:20 AM   #12
reorx
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to reorx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
Market share is not a good measure of a strength of a company. You can't compare a single manufacturer (Apple) against the rest of the world. That's like saying "Alienware has 0.02% of the market -- they stink".

The PC world is completely a comodity market. Next to zero margins, and extreme competition. In the PC market the users ONLY care about price -- nothing else. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't play in that market either. The value-add of a typical PC manufacturer is next to zero, so there is nothing to set them apart from the crowd. Trust me, these guys are NOT cutting margins down to the bone because they LIKE to offer the best deals in the market. They're doing it to stay competitive, hoping that their corporate sales will make up the hole in the balance-sheet.

I think Apple is very content to stay in their niche, however small it may be.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:58 PM   #13
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by g30ffr3y
he is an arrogant jackass megalomaniac... but what cult leader isnt... hehehe... its what makes him cool...
Give me a break.

reorx -- Alienware suck. You know why? Overpriced POS. I can make a better comp. Anyone can make a cheaper better comp.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 08:15 PM   #14
reorx
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to reorx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacman
Give me a break.

reorx -- Alienware suck. You know why? Overpriced POS. I can make a better comp. Anyone can make a cheaper better comp.
I've heard a few people say the same thing... I have no idea, because I've always built my own Wintel boxes. The point is that that their are a million different companies trying to compete for the "Good Enough" crowd in the PC arena, and that Apple is smart for not trying to cut their margins down to that level. Its a downward spiral of unprofitability, and the best company rarely wins... Anyone know the market percentages for Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, IBM, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, Fuji, etc? I'm curious to know.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 08:36 PM   #15
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by reorx
Market share is not a good measure of a strength of a company. You can't compare a single manufacturer (Apple) against the rest of the world. That's like saying "Alienware has 0.02% of the market -- they stink".

The PC world is completely a comodity market. Next to zero margins, and extreme competition. In the PC market the users ONLY care about price -- nothing else. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't play in that market either. The value-add of a typical PC manufacturer is next to zero, so there is nothing to set them apart from the crowd. Trust me, these guys are NOT cutting margins down to the bone because they LIKE to offer the best deals in the market. They're doing it to stay competitive, hoping that their corporate sales will make up the hole in the balance-sheet.

I think Apple is very content to stay in their niche, however small it may be.
I like your Alienware remark since I will be comparing the AMD Aurora to the next bottom tier G5 if apple ever updates its products. There is no way you can say going from 20% to 2% is good for any company. its gotten so bad that Apple had to open their own stores. They must be doing something wrong if the new audience is getting smaller and smaller and smaller when they have the best software. Steve has done some good things and has done some crap. Hardware and its crippling has been the crap and is the major reason marketshare has dwindled. Steve is the one pushing product placement. its so bad they have bands playing in the store instead of current hardware in the stores. If IBM wasnt making 970s what the heck would steve be doing still pushing 3 year old G4s??? his Hardware thinking has sucked rock bottom.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion