Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-5172340.html?tag=nefd_top

Apple Computer Chief Executive Steven Jobs took a $1 salary in 2003, as he has since 1998, and received $74.75 million in restricted stock in exchange for his outstanding stock options in March 2003.

So that's Seventy Four Million seven hundred fifty thousand and ONE dollars, for a year of work? And Apple only has 5% of the Computer market?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
That$ what I call confidence!

Wow.. It's good for company moral I think and it's pretty cool that Steve ties his earnings to the company's performance like that. It reminds me very strongly of our new governor in California... In fact, Schwartzenegger doesn't even draw $1 salary--he refused all of it because he feels himself wealthy enough and in fact has spend millions of his own money to campaign for the position, and millions since on lobbying for the budget-balancing laws the fat legistlators in Sacramento have been unwilling to pass... (because it hurts their fat little entitlements!)... how's that for a philanthropist?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So do they give the $1 all in one check or does he get payed part of it every 2 weeks? And how do they take taxes out on that?

D

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Xapplimatic said:
Wow.. It's good for company moral I think and it's pretty cool that Steve ties his earnings to the company's performance like that. It reminds me very strongly of our new governor in California... In fact, Schwartzenegger doesn't even draw $1 salary--he refused all of it because he feels himself wealthy enough and in fact has spend millions of his own money to campaign for the position, and millions since on lobbying for the budget-balancing laws the fat legistlators in Sacramento have been unwilling to pass... (because it hurts their fat little entitlements!)... how's that for a philanthropist?

Please don't compare schwarzenegger to Steve Jobs. It makes me sick.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
iwantanewmac said:
Please don't compare schwarzenegger to Steve Jobs. It makes me sick.

Damn straight.

And on a side note, if I was told I could do what I want and how I wanted it, I'd sacrifice all my income bar a dollar just to get it.

Of course I'd need a few billion in the bank just to make it through til next rent day....:)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Everyone has so much admiration for Steve Jobs because he ties all of his income to the productivity of the company. It's hardly worth cutting a check for a $1.00, then he's lucky if he gets 50 cents. I would love to have his income form stocks.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Xapplimatic said:

Yeah that & he doesn't like same-sex marriages. I guess his moral highground is so high that law prevails over people loving each other...that and he wants to run for president...god help us.

Good for Stevey!

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
JDOG_ said:
Yeah that & he doesn't like same-sex marriages. I guess his moral highground is so high that law prevails over people loving each other...that and he wants to run for president...god help us.

Good for Stevey!

You're telling me that he's the worst governor ever because he doesn't believe in same sex marriage? You're right though, people who don't think like you should never be able to make decisions.

As for Steve Jobs, I like his style. It's not about him, it's about the company (well sorta, I mean he is rich). Let's make it another good year for Apple and for Steve.

P-Worm

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
wdlove said:
Everyone has so much admiration for Steve Jobs because he ties all of his income to the productivity of the company. It's hardly worth cutting a check for a $1.00, then he's lucky if he gets 50 cents. I would love to have his income form stocks.
Uhh...

Sure he takes $1 a year...

But with Stock options he isn't going broke ANY time soon.

Stock options... that lear jet.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
JDOG_ said:

Good for Stevey!
oh man having morals against an abomination unto the lord really makes him unfit to be a governer

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no fancy executive type, but, isn't Stock Options the option to purchased heavily discounted stock?

So even when provided the chance to buy $74 mill is stocks, it's pretty hard to do with $1.00, unless his options are that he can buy that 74 mill with just one dollar, and sell back at full once vested.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
windowsblowsass said:
oh man having morals against an abomination unto the lord really makes him unfit to be a governer

ok, we're really not going to get into this here. A different thread, a different time guys.

But before we drop Arnie as a topic from this thread about Steve Jobs, let me just say to those who are afraid that he's going to run for President:

You, see, there's a little thing called the Constitution that prevents that. He was not born in the US.

As for Steve, glad to see he's holding himself accountable by way of his paycheck.

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
slowtreme said:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no fancy executive type, but, isn't Stock Options the option to purchased heavily discounted stock?

So even when provided the chance to buy $74 mill is stocks, it's pretty hard to do with $1.00, unless his options are that he can buy that 74 mill with just one dollar, and sell back at full once vested.

Call options give you the right to purchase stock at a specified "strike price". For example, if the "strike price" is $10, and Apple stock was $25 you would exercise the option for a $15 profit. If Apple stock was under $10 then you wouldn't exercise.

Options are designed to be a performance incentive for executives so they get rewarded if the companies stock price achieves a target. In my experience, most companies actually set the hurdle too low.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Bigheadache said:
Call options give you the right to purchase stock at a specified "strike price". For example, if the "strike price" is $10, and Apple stock was $25 you would exercise the option for a $15 profit. If Apple stock was under $10 then you wouldn't exercise.

Options are designed to be a performance incentive for executives so they get rewarded if the companies stock price achieves a target. In my experience, most companies actually set the hurdle too low.

Ideally they are set at either at the current value or current value + margin. Before the dot com bubble they typically were set like that. Then again before the bubble a PE ratio of 25 was considered bad.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
So I'm not sure I understand.

Did Jobs get handed $74 mil in stock, or handed a reduced price stock that he can sell later when/if it hits $74 mil, or the option to purchase stock to sell when/if it hits $74 mil?

outcastpariah

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2004
If you are judging Steve Jobs only on Base Salary and Stock Options, then he absorbs more annual income than Bill Gates. Bill Gates' annual salary per their company annual report is $865K for this year. The difference is, Bill doesn't have any stock options per SEC documentation.

http://yahoo.investor.reuters.com/O...executiveofficers/optioncompensation&rn=57840

Please note that the comparison here is excluding any ownership of company stock which obviously contributes greatly to their income.

So, in conclusion, if you calculate the % of compensation to the respective company's net income, this is what you get:

Steve Jobs receives the equivalent of 108% of Apple's net income in Salary and Options

while

Bill Gates only receives the equivalent of about 0.05% of Microsoft's net income in Salary and Options

edit: After looking at Michael Dell's figures, here's what I came up with:

Michael Dell receives the eqivalent of 13% of his company's net income in Salary and Options (assuming he exercises 100% of his exercisable options)

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
MongoTheGeek said:
Ideally they are set at either at the current value or current value + margin. Before the dot com bubble they typically were set like that. Then again before the bubble a PE ratio of 25 was considered bad.

Setting them at the current price isn't exactly much of a performance hurdle! Thats what I mean about companies setting them too low. Ideally they should be set at some sort of premium. Execs would then be rewarded for getting the share price up. The whole point of options is to align senior managers and shareholders interests (shareholders want the stock price to rise).

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
slowtreme said:

He can sell the options for a profit similar to what he could've made by buying the options at the strike price and selling at the market price. Of course, this stock is newly issued and it dilutes the value of all the other apple shareholders. Thanks Mr. Jobs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.