Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

Best Method of exporting EyeTV files for highest HD quality?

As the title says, I am capturing 720p video from the Hauppauge HD-PVR using the Elgato EyeTV software, and the original captured file is beautiful, perfect - easily still 720p .. but in order for that file to be used in iMovie so I can edit I need to export the file.

From the options given in EyeTV, exporting to iMovie HD says it'll make an iMovie file with the same quality - but it's not very close. Once it's exported to iMovie it gives it black lines on the sides, the quality is lower as I see jagged edges on words whereas it's smooth in the EyeTV recording ..

Can someone help? What method is the best? I want to eventually put the video on YouTube so right now I get the EyeTV file, Export it for iMovie HD which makes a big iMovie file in HD but with lesser quality, and then I export it from there as an Mpeg-4 for YouTube. From iMovie to Mpeg-4 the quality doesn't decrease at all, it's only from EyeTV to iMovie.
Khryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

It has come to my attention that because iMovie "HD" '06 was the first to support HD, it actually doesn't work well with it - and that's why my quality goes down a lot when I export an HD video.

I heard that the '08 version and most definitely the '09 version supports HD a lot better, but of course everyone hates the '08 version.

I'll get the '09 as long as it has a timeline editor like '06.
Khryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video