Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
TheThe
macrumors newbie

How to Export Contacts from iPhone to Another Mac?

Hi, I'm new here.

I recently got my macbok pro repaired by Apple and they were nice enough to erase my entire mac. Luckily I had backed up everything... except my address book contacts. I still have them in my iPhone 3G but now it won't sync unless I erase it first because it thinks my Mac is another mac. Is there anyway to get all the contacts out of the iphone without erasing it first?
TheThe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
WTF!!! THEY ERASED EVERYTHING!!!???

Well, glad to hear you had everything backed up! It must of been some kind of hard drive issue.

Connect to iTunes. A message should pop up saying there are contacts on this iPhone that are not on this Mac or something like that. It should ask you if you want to delete the contacts or transfer them to your Mac. Click transfer them and another message will pop up saying sync X contacts. The contacts will then be in Address Book and your all good!

David
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
iamjiere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post
WTF!!! THEY ERASED EVERYTHING!!!???

Well, glad to hear you had everything backed up! It must of been some kind of hard drive issue.

Connect to iTunes. A message should pop up saying there are contacts on this iPhone that are not on this Mac or something like that. It should ask you if you want to delete the contacts or transfer them to your Mac. Click transfer them and another message will pop up saying sync X contacts. The contacts will then be in Address Book and your all good!

David
Hi David,

I bought macbookpro yesterday and I plugged my iphone to it hopeing to sync contacts from my iphone to my new mac address book. But Itunes never been launched when connected them. And when I turn itunes on by myself it shows nothing about syncing or importing address book from iphone at all.. do you have any idea of how to fix this? Thank you in advance
iamjiere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
PriestSLC
macrumors newbie

How to sync contacts from iPhone to Mac

Ok this is a pretty simple process.

First after opening iTunes and going through the song and dance of it locating your device, go to the info tab and locate the "Contacts" section, you should see it once you select the tab.

Put a check in the box that says Sync Address Book contacts, now when you hit apply it will sync all contacts between your Mac and your device.

Nice enough you can also sync your yahoo address book as well as Google contacts (Good for those of us that were dumb enough to get a G1)

I hope that helps you out.

PriestSLC
PriestSLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5
kapersang
macrumors newbie

You should set your iphone on itunes manual management, which lets you drag and drop what you want onto your iphone without syncing.
do as the following: Connect your iphone to macbook and launch itunes--> find iphone under the "Devices" category in the left panel--> check the "Summary" tab on the right--> click "Manually Manage" --> "Apply". Well if you don’t wanna go through the troubles just get a iphone to mac transfer to do all the backup thing.
kapersang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Williamally
macrumors newbie

I thought that when you initially sync the iPhone, the address book in the computer will replace the contact list automatically and if the address book was empty the iPhone will also be loaded and empty. That happened to me because the address book (for some unknown reason had been erased) and it erased the contact list. Apple support was contacted and they indicated that may be a problem with the iPhone 3G when syncing. Now back up the address book to the desk top every time a change has been made, ready in case this happens again, you can still export iPhone contacts to excel as csv

Last edited by Williamally; Nov 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Williamally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Darac
macrumors newbie

All you need to do is:

iTunes>Click the iPhone on the left tabs>Info>Contacts>Sync

Thats how i did it and it worked!

Or Download a freeware software named "Sharepod". It will do the job and you can also back up all your iPhone files for the future in case you face a computer crash or loose.

Download here
Darac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Stevenhuntt
macrumors newbie

Use your Mac Address Book and sync your iPhone with iTunes. From the Info tab, under Contacts, make sure to select “Address Book” from the drop-down menu before you sync.

I am not sure whether it works on Mac, but you can use copytrans contacts to transfer the contacts too (in case you do not want to use iTunes sync):

Finally, you can simply use the iCloud app and install it on your Mac. Make sure to enable iCloud contact sync on your iPhone. Then import contacts from your Mac to your iCloud application, this will move and sync the contact entries to your iPhone.
Stevenhuntt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Harryk23
macrumors newbie

There is a free of charge BETA tool called copytrans contacts which will help you transfer iPhone contacts to your computer. After that, import the contacts from your computer to your iCloud by logging in to iCloud on your computer and pointing to "Import".

Last edited by Harryk23; Mar 14, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
Harryk23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting