Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Mar 13, 2004, 02:39 AM   #1
iKwak
macrumors member

Digital Camera - Size Setting for Best Photo Printout

Goal: Trying to figure out which setting I should have the digital camera set to - printing out a 4x6 photo at best quality.

Users have the option to take a photo at:

2272 x 1704 Super-Fine JPEG
2272 x 1704 Fine JPEG
2272 x 1704 Normal JPEG
1600 x 1200 Super-Fine JPEG
1024 x 768 Super-Fine JPEG

Is 1024 x 768 fine for a 4x6 photo printout (main concern)?
I have no clue. Or should I go with the 2272 x 1704 Super-Fine?

Going to shoot photos and print out at Walmart. Would be aweful to see a 'Kodak-Moment' photo that does not come out to well.
iKwak is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:56 AM   #2
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
First, the 1024 x 758 is not the same ratio as a 4 x 6. 1024 x 682 would be the proper image size. Second, who knows how many pixels Wal-Mart or other digital photo processors use to during the printing of the pictures. And last, suppose you take a shot at a low images size say, 1024 x 786, and after reviewing you think "Hmmmm, the important element in my composition is too small. I'll just crop this image to bring it out." Now, you're down to 640 x 480 (or whatever) and that will look pixelated when printed.

My advise to you, shoot your images with the highest image size. Also, try shooting the exact shot at all your camera's image sizes (use a tripod). Print those at Wal-mart and also print all of those again after they have been "enhanced" with iPhoto or Photoshop Elements and see how they will look when printed.
bbarnhart is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2004, 09:52 AM   #3
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Unless you don't have very much memory and can't afford more I'd shoot at the highest setting. No reason not to IMO.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe
Unless you don't have very much memory and can't afford more I'd shoot at the highest setting. No reason not to IMO.

Lethal
I definately agree. Shoot your photos at the highest settings. After all, what's the point of having a 4 MP camera when you only use 2 MP of it?
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:09 PM   #5
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Unless u are shooting specifically for the web, keep it at the highest setting. The advantage of digital is that u can delete anything that u don't want or that didn't come out well.

Memory is an issue though, if u don't have much. I keep my settings at the highest quality available, which is uncompressed RAW; files come out to write at about 9MB a piece, but I have 1GB of memory on me at all times. I've only once filled up both of my CF cards (2-512MB), but that's only been after 6 consecutive shoots.
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2004, 05:12 PM   #6
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKwak
Goal: Trying to figure out which setting I should have the digital camera set to - printing out a 4x6 photo at best quality.

SNIP

Going to shoot photos and print out at Walmart. Would be aweful to see a 'Kodak-Moment' photo that does not come out to well.
Do you cull and touch up your photos before printing?
If you do then you can get Walmarts resolution specs and alter your best quality shots (always shoot at max res) to fit their size and resolution.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:21 PM   #7
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

You should definitely shoot at the highest resolution possible and keep extra memory cards on hand.

JPEG files come in various levels of compression and fidelity to the original. The best you'll get is 1:2.7. I'm not sure whether this is the Fine or Super-Fine setting on your camera but this will give you the best quality of any JPEG. The next step down is 1:8, which you don't want.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:18 PM   #8
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
check with ur local printer but i always go highest settings when in doubt

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community