Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Jetheat
macrumors regular

Copy Contacts from iPhone to Sim Card

Is there a way to copy the contacts from the iPhone to the sim card.

I then need to use this sim card in another phone.

Isim and Simport don't exist for iPhone 3G so can't use them.

If you're thinking about synching, I have an iMac.

Any ideas?

JH
Jetheat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

As stupid as it is, I don't think this is possible with the iPhone. I've never been able to find a way.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3
eplchamps0304
Banned

It's another one of those senseless feautues missing on the iPhone.
eplchamps0304 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
Unfortunately, your best bet is probably to find a way to sync the other phone using isync.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Tomaten
macrumors newbie

This is ****ed up :@
My 5 yeah old nokia can do it - but the "oh so faboules iphone" cant do it... geesufreakingchrist :@

Last edited by dejo; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Circumventing profanity filter.
Tomaten is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Tumbleweed666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaten View Post
This is ****ed up :@
My 5 yeah old nokia can do it - but the "oh so faboules iphone" cant do it... geesufreakingchrist :@
True but possibly 'so what' as there's a 'gotcha' here, very little work has been put into making SIMs have a larger capacity. so its very easy to have many times more contacts on a PDA/Phone than you'll ever get into a SIM. I have an old Nokia with what at the time was a larger SIM, but it would never store the number of contacts I have on my Treo.

Last edited by dejo; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Tumbleweed666 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Why do you need to? Everything is copied to iTunes and your contacts on your computer.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Free mobileme, sync contacts, export them out, cancel mobileme.
You could use funambol to get them too.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 03:00 PM   #9
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
Why do you need to? Everything is copied to iTunes and your contacts on your computer.
The other person may have a secondary phone that isn't an iphone that they may swap the sim in. So iTunes isn't much help there...
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
The other person may have a secondary phone that isn't an iphone that they may swap the sim in. So iTunes isn't much help there...
Even my wife's old RAZR can sync contacts with the computer over bluetooth. And it's a couple years old.

There are actually still phones out there that won't sync with Outlook or Apple's Address Book?
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:49 PM   #11
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Even my wife's old RAZR can sync contacts with the computer over bluetooth. And it's a couple years old.

There are actually still phones out there that won't sync with Outlook or Apple's Address Book?
I think my nokia 2610 doesn't support that. Of course I only use the 2610 when I am going to a place where camera phones are not allowed...
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:59 PM   #12
aok1975
Banned

Quote:

My crappy backup nokia doesnt sync with outlook, but i can save contacts to the sim card. Another oversight by apple.
aok1975 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
I think my nokia 2610 doesn't support that. Of course I only use the 2610 when I am going to a place where camera phones are not allowed...
That looks pretty similar to my last phone and I didn't think there was anyway to change the SIM card in that yourself. Can you actually open that up?
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:05 PM   #14
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
That looks pretty similar to my last phone and I didn't think there was anyway to change the SIM card in that yourself. Can you actually open that up?
Yup the battery cover comes off, the SIM is under the battery.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Aaleck
macrumors 6502a

Haha, add that to the "missing" list.
Aaleck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:46 PM   #16
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

It's obvious that the omission of this feature wasn't just an oversight since the iPhone allows you to copy your contacts stored on your SIM card to your iPhone, so obviously they thought of the reverse of that feature. The only reason why you can't do this is so you're stuck with the iPhone once you switch to it since there isn't a simple way to keep your contacts on your current phone, unless it's an iPhone.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:40 PM   #17
nok2010
macrumors newbie

Cool

Clearly the iPhone CAN write contact to its SIM - it's just cr-apple that are making it hard for everyone. See iSIM check your App Installer press Sources, then Edit, then Add. Next, type http://tinyurl.com/3544mp
nok2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 01:15 AM   #18
xcell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
It's obvious that the omission of this feature wasn't just an oversight since the iPhone allows you to copy your contacts stored on your SIM card to your iPhone, so obviously they thought of the reverse of that feature. The only reason why you can't do this is so you're stuck with the iPhone once you switch to it since there isn't a simple way to keep your contacts on your current phone, unless it's an iPhone.
You are unfortunately right - Apple want to take control - else I could not explain why this simple feature is missing!

Think different => Think like Apple
xcell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 01:42 AM   #19
ARH1956
macrumors regular

Yeah, until they straighten this out Apple will probably never sell any iPhones.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:09 AM   #20
Bebelier
macrumors newbie

Copy Contacts from iPhone to Sim Card

If your phone is jb and has Cydia check this:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/12/s...on-the-iphone/
Bebelier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:53 AM   #21
dllegal.com
macrumors newbie

can this be done by

Sun Valley Co have an application called Cloud address book
Can this be done by uploading the data to the contact store that cloud book supply, swapping the new SIM into the iPhone and restoring it?

B**** silly way to live life ... come on Apple -- give us the feature everyone else has -=- sigh!
dllegal.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:01 AM   #22
2kats
macrumors newbie

easy solution

Use "Share Contacts" to MMS the contact to your phone. Then Add new contact, then delete the old one.
2kats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:54 PM   #23
violetgoose
macrumors member

Ugh! I wish there was a way. I may have to get an old phone just so I won't have to deal w/ this *****. iCloud deleted ALL of my contacts the other day... And I thought the entire point of iCloud was to back up everything I had? Now I have to start from scratch and am afraid this will only happen again, and I didn't even do anything to my phone! This is a perfect question and with technology being so flaky nowadays I don't think I trust it so much anymore. Now I am manually adding people to my Address Book so at least I have that to fall back on if I ever lose my contacts in the future.
violetgoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone