Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hurd111

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I am soon going to be purchasing this desk. There are a few questions I have though:

Is the glass desktop available in the US? I cant seem to find it on the website.

Would any of you mind posting pictures of yours? ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have the desk with a glass top. They do not sell the glass on their web site, it's in store only. FWIW, here's a pic of mine before I got the glass top.

web.jpg

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Here's mine in the birch effect/white with the leather desk pad thingy aswell from Ikea.
IMG_8977.jpg
desktops1.jpg

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have the same desk. Bought it a week before i got my MBP, because it is a nice desk and because there is room for both the PC and the MBP. I will post pics when i get my new couch and re-arrange the apartment in a few days.

klmckenzie03

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
I have the desk with a glass top. They do not sell the glass on their web site, it's in store only. FWIW, here's a pic of mine before I got the glass top.

web.jpg

That is a pretty sweet chair. Would you mind telling me where you found that?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That is a pretty sweet chair. Would you mind telling me where you found that?

It's a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Got it at an office supply store. Some dot com went bust and they were selling off the furniture. Most comfortable chair ever and still like new after 5 years.

Newcourt

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
The Netherlands
I'm doubting to get one to. I really like the design. Just simple and clean, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Does anybody have some more pictures?
Thanks in advance. :D

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i will take a bunch of pics either tomorrow or thursday when i get my new couch:)

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I've got three. Only one has a glass. You almost need a mouse pad if it's on the wood because it's a rough surface.

Attachments

• full_2092.jpg
    full_2092.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 845
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 671

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
I've got three. Only one has a glass. You almost need a mouse pad if it's on the wood because it's a rough surface.

I never get tired of seeing your studio.
I love what you've done with the space, very modern and crisp looking!

samlesher

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
I'm not a Mac guy, but I found this thread on Google when looking for ways to keep the glass top from sliding around on the Ikea Mikael desk. I tried those stick-on rubber pads, but as I put my elbows on the glass throughout the day, I would slowly push the glass forward, smearing the sticky back of the pads as it moved. I thought about screwing some corner brackets on the back of the desk to give the glass something to push against, but first I thought I would try my idea of putting under the glass one of those pads that you put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around. It looks a little unorthodox, but I think I like it (and it works perfectly). Here's a pic:

XuB7D.jpg

Again, sorry for the ugly Dell :p

jaaaack

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
I have the same desk in black-brown. substituted the glass panel with a think clear rubber/plastic sheet. No more fingerprints!

capps

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
So after you all posted pics of yours, I really liked how simple it was and how affordable it is so I thought I would order one. Nearest IKEA is 3.5 hours away.

It was all good until it calculated the shipping. Get real, IKEA. It would cost me less to rent a truck from Enterprise, drive to Round Rock, stay the night in a hotel, buy the desk, and drive back home. :eek:

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 449
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.