Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1
alxths
macrumors 6502

Introduce penguins to the Canadian Arctic...

any reason why this wouldn't work? The only hurdle I can see is polar bears.. but penguins usually chill by the water and definately have PBs beat while swimming, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

So, yeah.... nevermind the rediculously expensive gun registry, let's get some penguins.
alxths is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Well, except for penguins not being native to the area...

Besides, puffins are close enough
Old Mar 14, 2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Roger1
macrumors 65816

What would be the purpose in doing this?
Roger1 is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 08:15 PM   #4
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
it is not a good idea to introduce new species into an ecosystem.
idkew is offline   0
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:01 PM   #5
alxths
macrumors 6502

Puffins definately have the cooler name, but they're just no comparison to penguins.
http://www.lowdover.co.uk/images/puffins.jpg
http://www.falklands.net/Images/Full...g-penguins.jpg
alxths is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:26 AM   #6
KC9AIC
macrumors 6502

At least penguins would provide very interesting hunting. I can just imagine the new meaning for what is black and white and red all over.
KC9AIC is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxths
any reason why this wouldn't work? The only hurdle I can see is polar bears.. but penguins usually chill by the water and definately have PBs beat while swimming, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

So, yeah.... nevermind the rediculously expensive gun registry, let's get some penguins.
Um well there are cheaper ways to feed the carnivorous fauna in the artic. Lets face it on land they would have to hide from foxes, bears, and wolves. Running isn't an option peguins are much too slow. Then in the sea they would have to contend with the seals (once they develop a taste for them). They would probably put up a good chase, but in the end a seal would have better endurance.

Mind you it would give the Inuit a good laugh.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:04 AM   #8
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid
Um well there are cheaper ways to feed the carnivorous fauna in the artic. Lets face it on land they would have to hide from foxes, bears, and wolves. Running isn't an option peguins are much too slow. Then in the sea they would have to contend with the seals (once they develop a taste for them). They would probably put up a good chase, but in the end a seal would have better endurance.

Mind you it would give the Inuit a good laugh.
I think you hit the nail on the head. They survive in the Antarctic because there are no land predators. However, some species are also found as far north as the Galapagos. There's probably a species that could survive, though they might have trouble competing with the puffins.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Simon Liquid
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Simon Liquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1
Another group of species to wipe out when we start drilling in ANWR?
Simon Liquid is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:51 PM   #10
wdlove
macrumors 604

I think that Man shouldn't be moving animals to another area. We have seen many disasters in the past. Many create more damage than the problem that they were brought in to fix.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 04:34 PM   #11
ebow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1
Duh! So we could have real-life Chilly Willy episodes (for Nanook's family to enjoy, of course)!
ebow is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:40 PM   #12
alxths
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid
\

Well then we'll give the penguins harpoon guns so they'll have a fighting chance. Im pretty sure polar bears are the only land mammels they'll have to worry about, so we'll coat the artic with a thin layer of sut, that way they'll see the bears coming form a mile away and will jus thave to lay on their bellies to be inivisible to any predators
alxths is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:15 PM   #13
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Penguins are so relaxing, why not...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:00 PM   #14
Roger1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebow
Duh! So we could have real-life Chilly Willy episodes (for Nanook's family to enjoy, of course)!
Oh yeah!! I used to watch him when I was a kid! Great cartoon.
Roger1 is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:09 AM   #15
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxths
\

Well then we'll give the penguins harpoon guns so they'll have a fighting chance. Im pretty sure polar bears are the only land mammels they'll have to worry about, so we'll coat the artic with a thin layer of sut, that way they'll see the bears coming form a mile away and will jus thave to lay on their bellies to be inivisible to any predators
I like your idea of using soot, it finally gives us a use for all that smog from Detroit! But I don't know about arming the penguins. Just imagine the increased incidences of snowmobile jackings!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community