Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Well, he says the glossy MBP's screen is comparable to the previous MBP screens. The issue (or non-issue) is still the glossiness. I do wish the reds/oranges were better.. though it's hard to notice when you're away from a desktop LCD.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I would never base my decision to purchase a high end computer based of someone else's review. Sure he makes some valid points based off his opinion but for every person that doesn't like something there are a thousand people who do(and visa-versa).

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I would never base my decision to purchase a high end computer based of someone else's review. Sure he makes some valid points based off his opinion but for every person that doesn't like something there are a thousand people who do(and visa-versa).

+1
Also Rob Galbraith= blah blah blah

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007

Don't take his words too seriously. There was this whole Canon Mark III thing, and he did get Canon to fix issues and it is fixed and done with, but he still slaps it down. I wouldn't trust his knowledge with high end computers, cameras on the other hand .... maybe.:apple:

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
The fact of the matter is that Apple needs to (and probably will soon) offer the same $50 matte/anti-glare treatment on the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro as they do on the 17-inch MacBook Pro.

The thing that I am not too sure of is they will ever make that offer with the 13-inch MacBook.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
The fact of the matter is that Apple needs to (and probably will soon) offer the same $50 matte/anti-glare treatment on the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro as they do on the 17-inch MacBook Pro.

The thing that I am not too sure of is they will ever make that offer with the 13-inch MacBook.

I don't think they will. They didn't offer it in the previous gen MB, did they? It'll be a pro feature to distinguish between the lines.

I was thinking about this and my setup and I think I've nailed it. At home, there is a 22" glossy LCD. I use this as a TV via EyeTV and for computer work. I have a matted screen on my laptop for when I am out and about. I kind of live in both worlds!

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy

Even if I agree with you and even if I find hard to believe what he wrote about the Dell Mini 9, he's not "someone else", it's not me. He clearly separated his taste from actual measurements.

May be many of you should look at competitors' screens more often, because they are not as bad as you seem to think. Anyway, the strong critique to the MBP screen concerned the reflections. And obviously there are reflections since there is glass without anti-reflective coating.

thistle

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I've seen and compared at least the dell 9 and my current unibody mbp and I dont agree with this guy.

If he compares it to the previous gen mbp, I remember he was praising about how wonderful the previous gen mbp's color accuracy was. Maybe he's just not a fan of the glossy from Apple.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
The guy who wrote that article is pretty much a fool and most of it is total bs.

Some examples:

BS 1: "Photoshop CS4 users will appreciate the beefier graphics subsystem"
Photoshop mainly uses the CPU not the graphics cards

BS 2: "The only significant colour error is in reds and oranges, which are considerably skewed in both hue and saturation and really don't look right on this display"
Probably because he didnt bother to calibrate his screen or modify the alpha settings as everyone should do when buying a Macbook/Macbook Pro

BS 3: How the hell can you even compare a Dell with an Atom processor with an Apple Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo?!?!?

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
The guy who wrote that article is pretty much a fool and most of it is total bs.

Some examples:

BS 2: "The only significant colour error is in reds and oranges, which are considerably skewed in both hue and saturation and really don't look right on this display"
Probably because he didnt bother to calibrate his screen or modify the alpha settings as everyone should do when buying a Macbook/Macbook Pro

BS 3: How the hell can you even compare a Dell with an Atom processor with an Apple Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo?!?!?

CS4 does use the graphics card...

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008

Some examples:

Exactly.
like I said before: Rob Galbraith= Blah Blah Blah

I consider him to be 15-20% correct, maybe 10% of the time:D

bfc

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009

Some examples:

Please re-read the article, that is if you even read it in the first place, there is entire section on Calibration.

I'm a recent switcher to the Mac Platform, what struck me immediately was how poor the MacBook Pro's screen compared to my Lenovo laptops screen. I was caught a little off-guard by that. I find the Lenovo's screen sharper and better at colour reproduction.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
+1
Also Rob Galbraith= blah blah blah

Don't take his words too seriously. There was this whole Canon Mark III thing, and he did get Canon to fix issues and it is fixed and done with, but he still slaps it down. I wouldn't trust his knowledge with high end computers, cameras on the other hand .... maybe.:apple:

Rob Galbraith's review seems entirely fair, objective and comprehensive. He has the resources to compare laptops much more thoroughly and accurately than must of us could do. I find him a reliable and useful source of information. And as a photographer I'm much more interested in what a another photographer has to say about a laptop than a computer expert with very different priorities.

The fact that the Dell's screen stands up very well to the MacBook Pro should be an embarrassment to Apple - it's not a reason to knock Rob Galbraith. He understands how incredibly useful netbooks are to many people and a netbook with a decent screen is a great thing for a photographer. I'm tempted to try OS X on my wife's Samsung NC10 and take it out myself.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
The fact that the Dell's screen stands up very well to the MacBook Pro should be an embarrassment to Apple

Thats the thing though, it doesnt, an Atom Processor just isnt comparable to a Core 2 Duo, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Horse and Cart, i think its rather misleading to people who dont know much about computer systems to use it as his comparison.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
I'd have liked Rob to also test the HP mobile workstation with Dreamcolor display. This is supposedly the best color display currently available on any laptop. It is 8bit and was built for color critical work.

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/interactive/8730w-dc/model2.html
Link opens new window. To stop intro playing and to get to the infos just click on 'Details' bottom left.

Hopefully Rob can do a followup of his article at some point including the HP8730 with Dreamcolor display and the new MBP 17" that's coming out round about now.

p.s.
What saddens me is that I feel Apple should have spearheaded the development of color accurate screens in laptops. Not Lenovo or HP.
Apple is fast losing its core competency with regards to media content creation. Without even realizing this.
A far cry from what Steve Jobs said in the late 90ies when he came back, that he intends to focus Apple on its core businesses.
I have the impression that those days are over.
:(

[Could some kind mod please merge the two threads on this?]

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Thats the thing though, it doesnt, an Atom Processor just isnt comparable to a Core 2 Duo, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Horse and Cart, i think its rather misleading to people who dont know much about computer systems to use it as his comparison.

The screen, not the processor.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy

May be you have not noticed that we were talking about what he wrote about the notebook screens. Not processors, not ram, not the chassis, not the keyboard. The screen.

The SCREEN is the thing with pixels that you usually look at when you work at the computer. Sometimes on the screen there is what is commonly known as TEXT. Text is written to be read, that's the basic idea.

Use all those info for the future.

Ah... zealots...

thistle

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Meh, I'll never buy another Macbook because of the screen.

In the mean time I'll just have to keep trudging along with my 3 year old T60 with it's lovely display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.