Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Scotti
macrumors newbie

Purchased ringtones no longer sync with iPhone

Until recently the ringtones I purchased in iTunes sync-ed with my iPhone. Yesterday my iPhone deleted all ringtones that were not factory loaded on the phone and it refuses to download ringtones from my iTunes library. In the synchronisation process I have tried both checking "download all ringtones" and checking the specific ringtone I am after. Neither works.
I restored the software on my iPhone. Makes no difference.
Any body any ideas?
Thank you
Scotti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2
DPA
macrumors 65816

Location: trapped as a prisoner of a purple aurora and an aluminum device
So you have check the Sync Ringtones in the iPhone's page? It sounds like you did. Can you play them in the Ringtones page in iTunes? It may be a authorization thing with iTunes and Ringtones. Also, are they on any other iPhones and did you make them in GarageBand or in the Ringtone Maker feature in iTunes?

David
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Scotti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post
So you have check the Sync Ringtones in the iPhone's page? It sounds like you did. Can you play them in the Ringtones page in iTunes? It may be a authorization thing with iTunes and Ringtones. Also, are they on any other iPhones and did you make them in GarageBand or in the Ringtone Maker feature in iTunes?

David
Thanks for your reply.
the ringtones are standard and I downloaded them from iTunes websites, they actually downloaded on my iPhone and I have used one of them as my telephone ringtone on my iPhone (3G 16GB UK) for the last 6 months.
I can still play them back in my iTunes, but for some reason my iPhone has deleted them and refuses to download them in the synchronisation process.

Hence I am puzzled...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
DPA
macrumors 65816

Did you update firmware or iTunes before they stopped working? Apple could of built a feature in a new iTunes update that doesn't allow there downloaded ringtones to be synced.

David
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Fonzijr1964
macrumors 68000

happened to me

I had to buy new ones
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Scotti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP.guru.guy View Post
Did you update firmware or iTunes before they stopped working? Apple could of built a feature in a new iTunes update that doesn't allow there downloaded ringtones to be synced.

David
That may well be, I update my Mac software and iTunes software regularly and as soon as a new version is available.
Could a new software update undo existing ringtones? Sounds odd... why would they do that?
It would go against the grain of Mac and iPhone users' increased interest in ringtones..
Anything I could try?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Scotti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzijr1964 View Post
happened to me

I had to buy new ones
These are free ringtones downloaded from a iTunes site. The bother is that I have become used to the sound, so my ear is attuned to this particular sound when my phone rings...
I would rather not change my ringtone, if I can avoid it...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Fonzijr1964
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
These are free ringtones downloaded from a iTunes site. The bother is that I have become used to the sound, so my ear is attuned to this particular sound when my phone rings...
I would rather not change my ringtone, if I can avoid it...
i did not even know such a thing existed
Old Jan 27, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9
DPA
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzijr1964 View Post
happened to me

I had to buy new ones
If they were bought through the iTunes store, you could of contacted Apple by reporting a problem through the emailed invoice they send or by viewing the batch of invoices in your account settings in iTunes.

David
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:25 AM   #10
hfowler
macrumors newbie

something happened

I have not updated itunes or synced my phone lately but i can not even purchase a ringtone from my phone. It says tones are not compatible???
hfowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting