Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
GenghisKhan
macrumors newbie

Retrieving Username in C++

Hi there, I'm working on a small XCode project to get my C++ skills up to par again.

I need to retrieve the username to use with a path command in "int execpl(char *path, char *arg, ...)". Since this app is going to run on somebody else's Mac and I don't know his username, I need a smart way to retrieve it.

I could get it from the environment variable $USER but I don't know how to do this in C++.

Anyone?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
GenghisKhan
macrumors newbie

I looked it up in one of my linux books

You can use "stdlib.h" apparantly, to use char *getenv(const char *name);

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisKhan View Post
Hi there, I'm working on a small XCode project to get my C++ skills up to par again.

I need to retrieve the username to use with a path command in "int execpl(char *path, char *arg, ...)". Since this app is going to run on somebody else's Mac and I don't know his username, I need a smart way to retrieve it.

I could get it from the environment variable $USER but I don't know how to do this in C++.

Anyone?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:15 PM   #3
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

It might be better to use CSCopyUserName() from the CoreServices framework, but that's not cross-platform if you're going that route.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming