Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Mar 15, 2004, 05:52 PM   #1
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

FDA to Determine What Low-Carb Means

I just read this article, and I think I'm siding with the notion that it's going to end up a failing trend, just like "low fat" ultimately was for many. It's time for the FDA to start regulating this, as one can see here in the article.

I still say that a balanced diet, along with EXERCISE, is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

story here
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:06 PM   #2
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeart
I just read this article, and I think I'm siding with the notion that it's going to end up a failing trend, just like "low fat" ultimately was for many. It's time for the FDA to start regulating this, as one can see here in the article.

I still say that a balanced diet, along with EXERCISE, is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

story here
Interesting article eyelikeart. Your are correct Americans need to return to the basics with following the food group pyramid. Getting a balance diet and exercise is a lost art. So many have a sedentary lifestyle.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:16 PM   #3
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlove
Your are correct Americans need to return to the basics with following the food group pyramid. Getting a balance diet and exercise is a lost art.
my only problem with the 'food pyramid' is that the people who help develop this pyramid often lobby on behalf of their repective industries, i.e. grain... i think the key to it all is moderation...

but yes, i would like to see the FDA come out with some sort of guide to the low carb thing... esp those 'low-impact' or 'net' carb claims...
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Roger1
macrumors 65816

I saw some low carb salt for sale the other day But it came in 40 pound bags.

Sign said: For sale Low carb softener salt!
Roger1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 09:53 AM   #5
ExoticFish
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ExoticFish Send a message via Skype™ to ExoticFish
yeah i saw the funniest thing last night when i stoped by the store. i was picking up some beer when i saw a "Low Carb" sign next to all the light beer... i started cracking up when i saw that. i mean come on people.
ExoticFish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:33 AM   #6
jxyama
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Consider Ruby Tuesday's low-carb steak or fajita entrees, with about 1,000 calories, says the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Or Subway's low-carb wraps, which had more than 100 extra calories over the chain's famed line of low-fat subs.
it's borderline fraud. 1,000 calories is 1,000 calories, nevermind the carbs. if you eat 1,000 calories in one sitting (and that's without any desserts!), you better be offsetting that by exercising or eating moderately at other times.

and subway low-fat subs are around 300 calories - those low-carb wraps being more than 100 calories over that is actually quite a bit of an increase. it's laced with cheese and bacon - no wonder it has more calories...

will average dieting americans ever learn that you really can't get something for nothing when it comes to caloric intakes?
jxyama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i think the problem with most people is that they dont know what moderation means or how to balance thier diet.....so they end up going on these fad diets that always fail.....
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:20 PM   #8
slowtreme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
i think the problem with most people is that they dont know what moderation means or how to balance thier diet.....so they end up going on these fad diets that always fail.....
Actually the two popular Low Carb diets (Atkins, South Beach) work well for Americans right now. Interestingly enough it's not really because of the carbs. American's LIKE the non Carb foods, Steaks, Meats, Cheese, Eggs, etc. Things that other diets suggest you don't eat. It seams easy to give up Sugars, Breads, and Pasta if you still get to eat that other stuff. But what your really doing is limiting your food options, so you end up eating less calories a day. OMG it's a DIET after all!

Well... also the whole "no carbs so the body burns fat instead" is based on valid principles. But the reduction of calories is really where the diet works.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events