Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1
mranonymouspgh
macrumors newbie

Mail autofill is suggesting addresses from deleted accounts

I searched this forum and the one for the iPhone and didn't find anything of relevance, so I figured I'd ask for help.

Last month I was on vacation and a friend housesat for me. I didn't need to take my iPod Touch with me, so I told him he was welcome to enjoy it.

He did. So much so that he has bought one himself. Good for him. Not so good for me, I discovered this week. You see, he found the e-mail feature to be very convenient to stay in contact with his various booty calls. (I've since washed the blankets multiple times after realizing this.) Although he deleted his Yahoo account information, whenever I try to address a new e-mail from my Gmail account, the iPod autofill feature suggests (when they start with the same letters that I begin to type) those addresses he contacted with the device.

This would have been funny a few years ago. Hell, I might even have contacted some of the same girls. But now that I have a wife who might at some point try to send an email to pXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.com and instead have this device suggest pussycat4u269@XXXXXXXX.com, I'm not laughing ... especially as I envision trying to explain the situation.

So my question is this how can I get my iPod Touch's autofill feature to stop suggesting e-mail addresses from mail accounts that have been deleted from the device?
mranonymouspgh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:42 PM   #2
joeybuckets
macrumors regular

yes anyone have an answer to this ? i was wondering also
joeybuckets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

did you try restoring the entire ipod? I know it deletes data, but if you want to get rid of that it might be worth it.
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:56 PM   #4
joeybuckets
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
did you try restoring the entire ipod? I know it deletes data, but if you want to get rid of that it might be worth it.
dont really wanna do that though.. kinda wanna know how to shut off that autofill option
joeybuckets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5
edot104
macrumors newbie

If you haven't solved the problem-- hope this helps!

Clean up Mac OS X Mail's Auto-Complete List

To clean up or empty the auto-complete list of previous recipients' addresses in Mac OS X Mail:

* Select Window | Previous Recipients from the menu.
* Click on the Last Used header so the arrow points downward.
* Make sure no entry is highlighted.
* Hold down the Shift key.
* Click on an address last used a year ago.
o Of course, you can choose a different interval and select all addresses not used in the past month, for example.
* Verify all entries not used in the last year are highlighted.
* Click Remove From List.
edot104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:29 AM   #6
skybolt
macrumors 6502a

You can also simply delete all entries in the Previous Recipients window. I do that regularly to keep things neat. Has no effect on your Address Book entries - they'll still autofill just fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch