Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Ranger33
macrumors newbie

Preview-Taking a picture of a menu

Mac iBook G4
OS 10.4.11

Hi Forum,

Below is the text of "Preview Help-Taking a picture of a menu". I can't get the picture of a drop-down menu, for instance in Safari>Window>drop down menu.

I’ve tried various ways of following the instructions. each time I end up with a screenshot of the entire computer window (which does include the drop down menu, but then to get a picture of just the drop down menu I would have to select the drop down menu, which is just another stop in the proces. What I want is just the Safari list of open Safari windows below “Window”. My understanding is that that is possible to do in Preview.

Please give me feedback on how to accomplish what I’ve described.

Thanks,

Ranger33

You can take a picture of a pull-down or pop-up menu.
Choose File>Grab>Timed Screen.
Press the mouse button to open the menu you want to capture, and keep the mouse button pressed until the Timed Screen Grab dialog closes and the picture appears.
Preview captures the menu within 10 seconds. The image is saved to your Desktop.
See also
Taking screen shots
Ranger33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

From OS X keyboard shortcuts:

Quote:
Command-Shift-3 Take a picture of the screen
Command-Shift-4 Take a picture of the selection
Command-Shift-4, then press Control while selecting Take a picture of the screen, place in Clipboard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	155376  
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Ranger33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
I've used these for years:

This is new. Thanks.
Command-Shift-4, then press Control while selecting Take a picture of the screen, place in Clipboard.
It accomplishes what I've wanted to do.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Ranger33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger33 View Post

I've used these for years:

"Command-Shift-4, then press Control while selecting. Take a picture of the screen, place in Clipboard." You mean take a picture of the 'Selection' don't you?

The third method is new to me. Thanks. It accomplishes what I've wanted to do.
1. I don't get why, when I press "Preview Post" I get: "The following errors occurred when this message was submitted: "1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

I keep writing (more than 1 character), and I get the same error message. Also, the entire message doesn't show up with the quote I've chosen to show from your response. when I "Submit Reply"

2. The "Attachment" also doesn't show up in my response.

3. I'm wary of going to other pages to find the attachment, and to look for other things on other applications such as word, because when I try to get back to this page I've lost the text I've entered.

4. The attachment you sent (and I don't understand how the 'Forums.macrumors' site uses "attachments". Should they Open?) shows me a menu bar I've never seen in Preview (or Safari), nor have I seen the choices on the drop down menu you show. I wish I could get to that "attachment" now, or to a picture of it, in order to explain myself more clearly. What I want to know is how I can find those unknown, to me, extra choices on preview,

Thanks for your help ggjstudios. I look forward to your reply.

Ranger 33
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:38 AM   #5
Ranger33
macrumors newbie

OK. In this post, your entire attachment showed up. Great.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:46 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger33 View Post
1. I don't get why, when I press "Preview Post" I get: "The following errors occurred when this message was submitted: "1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."
When you quote someone to reply, you have to type at least one character. Their quoted text doesn't count.
Quote:
2. The "Attachment" also doesn't show up in my response.
You should avoid quoting attached images, as they make the thread very long and are needless. When you quote someone and refer to an image they've attached, there is automatically a link to the post where that image appears, if someone wants to see it.
Quote:
3. I'm wary of going to other pages to find the attachment, and to look for other things on other applications such as word, because when I try to get back to this page I've lost the text I've entered.
If you click the paperclip icon to attach a file, it opens a new window, leaving your text where you left it.
Quote:
4. The attachment you sent (and I don't understand how the 'Forums.macrumors' site uses "attachments". Should they Open?)
Attachments in posts are usually pictures. It's not a good idea to post other filetypes, such as executables.
Quote:
shows me a menu bar I've never seen in Preview (or Safari), nor have I seen the choices on the drop down menu you show.
The screen cap I posted was of a standard safari menu. The "Window" menu.
Quote:
I wish I could get to that "attachment" now, or to a picture of it, in order to explain myself more clearly. What I want to know is how I can find those unknown, to me, extra choices on preview,
Again, the menu is from Safari, not Preview.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:43 PM   #7
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816

I thought I replied to this? I must've not submitted.

Anyway, I had said that command+shift+4 works to capture a selection, but while you have the cursor active for capturing, you can hit space to make it capture a window. You can use this to capture just a menu.

1) Select your menu
2) Command+shift+4
3) space
4) click

mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store