Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share another positive Apple Experience.

I bought a MacBook Air in February. In July, my machine would not boot at all. I needed a logic board replaced, which they did and everything was fine. My screen then became very loose. I decided to take it to the Genius Bar and get it booked in. He said the screws just need to be tightened and it will be fine.

I booked it in on Jan 16. I received the machine back exactly one week later. Jan 23. They replaced the display clamshell and all was fine. I then got home to realize there was no sound. I went to System Preferences>Audio - "No Audio Device." I booked the next available Genius appointment which was Monday 26 Jan. They said, they would need to order a flex cable and audio board. The genius said, considering it has just come back from service, I will put this in the priority cue and since we have the parts in stock, it won't take very long.

At this time, I decided to call Customer Relations. I have a contact there, because I had to DOA my original LED Display and she remembered me from last time (I only DOA'd the display on the 7th of Jan). She said since the machine has only currently had two parts replaced. If there is ever another hardware part needing to be replaced, instead of fixing that part they will replace the machine. I thought that was fair, considering it is normally only 3 parts before a replacement machine.

This Thursday 29 Jan. I called to see the status of my repair. They said the technician will call me back shortly. I did not receive a call back. I called on Friday 30 Jan at 9.15AM, when they are quiet. Got the same message, the technician will call me back. Still no call. I called again at 4.15PM and said I want to find out the status of my repair and I am not getting off the phone until I get some information. "Sorry, sir, it looks as though the machine hasn't started being worked on, but it is very close to the top of the list." I hung up the phone.

I then called, my contact back at Customer Relations, she could tell how frustrated I was. I said they have had my machine since Monday. It is now Friday night and they haven't even started. They told me, the parts were in stock and my service job was marked as high priority. She said this is totally unacceptable and said she will make a complaint against the branch and offered to replace my machine for a MBA 1.6/120GB. I was very happy with this result. I asked her if it is possible to pay the difference and upgrade to the MBA 1.86/128GB SSD. She said that is not a problem at all.

I have decided to go ahead with the Advanced Replacement Scheme. For those of you that aren't familiar with this, it basically means, they take down your credit card details and you sign a legal document that states, that you will return your machine back to Apple within 30 days of signing the document. If it is not received back, your card will be charged.
I think this is the best way of obtaining a replacement. This way you receive the new machine and can check there is nothing wrong with it and then send the old one back. Instead of waiting for the old one to be returned, Apple processing it and resending the replacement.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my positive Apple Experience with Customer Relations!

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Wow! Nice customer relations. I hope my MBA doesn't have these issues, but if it does, I feel confident apple will fix it to our satisfaction.

Good luck.

cerealj

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
This doesn't sound like an especially positive experience... :confused: You went through months of hassle to finally get a working computer, like you should have had from the beginning?

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
This experience has NEGATIVE written all over it :eek:

HP replaced the motherboard of my mom's laptop within 6 days including the sending/receiving. Meaning that they almost spent around 2 days on the machine only for a major part compared to the ages Apple took just holding your machine. :eek:

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
What's negative about it? I know, it's not a perfect machine, but they resolved the issue to his satisfaction. If it was me, I'd be happy to be without the MBA for 1-2 wks if I could get it replaced with a better machine. Tell me one company that will replace a almost 1 yr old machine for a new better one.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
What's negative about it? I know, it's not a perfect machine, but they resolved the issue to his satisfaction. If it was me, I'd be happy to be without the MBA for 1-2 wks if I could get it replaced with a better machine. Tell me one company that will replace a almost 1 yr old machine for a new better one.

Exactly right. Although the machine had issues. Customer Relations dealt with issue very well. They turned an upset customer into a very happy customer. The only negative experience was the Genius Bar's repair times and faliure to keep the client informed.

I was playing around with the demo SSD it is definitely worth the extra money. I can now add it to my list of gadgets I own: MBP 2.53 and 24" LED display which I can now use it with!

Reactions: appledefenceforce

chewbaccacabra

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Wonder what's up with these sound issues. Same as mine it sounds like if you read my thread about my Air being replaced. Wish I could have upgraded to the SSD, but just way too many expenses right now to justify that.

I don't know why anyone would call this story a negative. His took a little longer than mine, but the end result was the same: new model Air. :cool:

sepo01

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Anchorage, AK
AppleCare vs Customer Relations

I am glad Apple has the Customer Relations line because I seem to go around and round with AppleCare.

I had to complain to get a battery replaced in a MacBook that was out of serial number range but exhibited the same exact problems as a recalled model. They took care of it and in the end I was happy, just like the OP.

Yes it is frustrating but having this ombudsman is welcome otherwise I think we may not be as happy with Apple.

On another note, I very much want to purchase a MBA with SSD. :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Good onya' OP! I went through some similar stuff with AppleCare and the Apple Store, and when I thought all was lost, the Store Manager for the Apple Store called me up for a shopping experience one-on-one. I've been beaming ever since with three new Mac purchases since that incident...:cool:

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
The common negative thread in all of these stories is the Genius Bar. One would think they might bother to really fix the problem at the source.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
From personal experience the store in albany ny is NOT like this store that the OP went too. But to the OP why the heck didn't you check your computer before leaving the store? Screws holding the screen on a MBA, HUH ? I've seen enough video's on screen replacement and do not ever remember seeing screws but I could be mistaken but I doubt it. I know locally if the screen hinge ins loose take it it tell them and 5 minutes later it's back in your hands. Once the holiday rush kicks in maybe you'd have to leave it over night but for a week for a local repair, NO way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.