Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Antiglare coating on glasses (anyone else have issues with it?)

As the title says, have any of you had an issue with antiglare coatings on your glasses? I got new lenses in my glasses a few months ago, and the sales person at Pearl Vision conned my Mom and I into getting the damn coating.

Over the past few months, I have noticed that after about an hour of wearing the glasses, that a greasy "film" builds up on the glasses. The eyeglass cleaner doesn't even remove the grease, I have to resort to using water, and a few times, I've even had to use iKlear on them, because water didn't even work ().

Also, I've noticed that these lenses are scratching really easily. I never have had this problem with my other glasses (been wearing glasses since I was 7), and these were the first pair that I've actually kept in the case at night. I'm really ticked about this, because we paid $100 extra for the coating, and they've just been a pain in the @$$.

Does anyone else have an issue with antiglare coatings on their glasses? I'm just curious if I just got a bad set of lenses.

Don
Dmac77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I don't get any additional coating on my glasses anymore for two reasons. First it scratches easily even if it's supposed to be scratch resistant. Second over time the coating eventually starts to degrade and leaves patches of uncoated or coated lens.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
I don't get any additional coating on my glasses anymore for two reasons. First it scratches easily even if it's supposed to be scratch resistant. Second over time the coating eventually starts to degrade and leaves patches of uncoated or coated lens.
I've always gotten Transitions and normal anti-scratch, and I've never had any issue with either of them. But this time, I got the dang antiglare, and by default it came with "super anti-scratch", and I've had nothing but problems with the coatings this time around.

Don
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
QuantumLo0p
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I sure do. I let my eye glass store talk me into plastic lenses with anti glare and anti scratch coatings (again!!!) just because tempered glass lenses would have cost an additional 60 dollars.

I feel ripped off (again!!!) for being so stupid to fall for their marketing speak. The coatings are almost worthless. I have to be careful what to clean the lenses with; many cleaners just smear and streak. It's generally more difficult to remove smudges. The anti scratch coatings are a joke also. The coating simply can't stop scratching from occurring on the plastic.

Although plastic lenses are lighter and safer than tempered glass lenses there is no comparison when it comes down to optical performance. Besides, my prescription is so weak the lenses are not thick at all and have even been mistaken for faux, designer specs.

The next time I buy another pair of glasses it will be with REAL glass, not plastic and WITHOUT any coatings. I have owned three sets of eye glasses with glass lenses and with every pair the frames ended up failing before the lenses. Every pair of glasses I owned with plastic lenses, the lenses became very scratched before the frames gave out.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumLo0p View Post
Yeah, I sure do. I let my eye glass store talk me into plastic lenses with anti glare and anti scratch coatings (again!!!) just because tempered glass lenses would have cost an additional 60 dollars.

I feel ripped off (again!!!) for being so stupid to fall for their marketing speak. The coatings are almost worthless. I have to be careful what to clean the lenses with; many cleaners just smear and streak. It's generally more difficult to remove smudges. The anti scratch coatings are a joke also. The coating simply can't stop scratching from occurring on the plastic.

Although plastic lenses are lighter and safer than tempered glass lenses there is no comparison when it comes down to optical performance. Besides, my prescription is so weak the lenses are not thick at all and have even been mistaken for faux, designer specs.

The next time I buy another pair of glasses it will be with REAL glass, not plastic and WITHOUT any coatings. I have owned three sets of eye glasses with glass lenses and with every pair the frames ended up failing before the lenses. Every pair of glasses I owned with plastic lenses, the lenses became very scratched before the frames gave out.
I wish I had thin lenses! Mine are as thick as an Alienware "notebook" My left eye makes everything look like a Dali painting

Don
Dmac77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:52 PM   #6
LowEnder
macrumors member

Cleaning

I had to get anti-glare on my last set of lenses and was given very specific instructions on cleaning: use dishwashing detergent, then rinse with water, then dry with microfiber cloth.......and NEVER use an alcohol-based cleaner.
Obviously there was film build-up with the detergent, so I found a non-alcohol based cleaner (by Leader) that has worked very well.
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens
good luck!
LowEnder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEnder View Post
I had to get anti-glare on my last set of lenses and was given very specific instructions on cleaning: use dishwashing detergent, then rinse with water, then dry with microfiber cloth.......and NEVER use an alcohol-based cleaner.
Obviously there was film build-up with the detergent, so I found a non-alcohol based cleaner (by Leader) that has worked very well.
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens
good luck!
The sales person at Pearl Vision, told me to not use any type of soap/detergent on them ever I use a microfiber cloth that I clean every other day. I find that iKlear does a good job with the grease, but that stuff is waaaaaay to expensive to clean my glasses with! I'll be going back to the Transitions and normal anti-scratch this time around. If they're running a 2 for 1 special, I'll grab a second pair with the antiglare, because they are great for the computer (which I spend the majority of my time away from school on).

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I don't really understand what the problem is with regards to plastic lenses, because I'm pretty sure all my lenses have been made of plastic.

My Serengeti sunglasses have glass lenses, but that's it. They both get greasy marks that I need to wipe off with the fibercloth, and they both allow fingerprints. I don't see the difference.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
I don't really understand what the problem is with regards to plastic lenses, because I'm pretty sure all my lenses have been made of plastic.

My Serengeti sunglasses have glass lenses, but that's it. They both get greasy marks that I need to wipe off with the fibercloth, and they both allow fingerprints. I don't see the difference.
It's not that they're plastic (all of my glasses have had polycarb lenses), it that the antiglare coating for some reason scratches really easily, and is like a magnet for grease. When I get home from school, it looks like someone went and rubbed lard on my glasses. It's just disgusting!

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:28 AM   #10
CalBoy
macrumors 601

I don't think I bothered to get anti-glare coating the last time I got glasses simply because I only wear my glasses early in the morning and right before bed. Otherwise, it's all contacts.

The anti-glare coating can be a pain, because it's the same type used on most sunglasses. Scratching it will remove the coating, and it's not realistic to have glasses go through a normal amount of wear and tear in a given amount of time.

You should look into contacts. I've been wearing them since I was 12 and haven't looked back. No glare, great peripheral vision, and you get to show off your eyes more.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:43 AM   #11
Prof.
macrumors 601

I have anti-glare coating on my glasses and I've never had a problem with them. I use a damp (water) microfiber cloth to clean them and it works out perfectly
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:49 AM   #12
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy View Post
I don't think I bothered to get anti-glare coating the last time I got glasses simply because I only wear my glasses early in the morning and right before bed. Otherwise, it's all contacts.

The anti-glare coating can be a pain, because it's the same type used on most sunglasses. Scratching it will remove the coating, and it's not realistic to have glasses go through a normal amount of wear and tear in a given amount of time.

You should look into contacts. I've been wearing them since I was 12 and haven't looked back. No glare, great peripheral vision, and you get to show off your eyes more.
I like my glasses. I'm known for my Prada frames, and I don't think I look good without my glasses. Plus I can't stand putting eyedrops in, much less contacts

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:54 AM   #13
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac77 View Post
I like my glasses. I'm known for my Prada frames, and I don't think I look good without my glasses.
Hmmm...that's always hard. I must admit, some guys just look hot in glasses while some don't.

Do some modeling for your boyfriend and see what he says.
Quote:
Plus I can't stand putting eyedrops in, much less contacts
I thought that at first too, but you get used to it really fast.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:57 AM   #14
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hmmm...that's always hard. I must admit, some guys just look hot in glasses while some don't.

Do some modeling for your boyfriend and see what he says.

I thought that at first too, but you get used to it really fast.
Will do, I wonder what Nick will say?:hmmm:

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:01 AM   #15
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Will do, I wonder what Nick will say?:hmmm:
Sometimes it's also hard to get a fair opinion from someone who's known you a while because they're used to your look. Just FYI.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:03 AM   #16
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Sometimes it's also hard to get a fair opinion from someone who's known you a while because they're used to your look. Just FYI.
That's true. I'm 99% sure that I'll keep my glasses, and just get the lenses that I was getting before (I need new lenses again anyways).

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

And I'd rather keep wearing glasses because I think they look OK on me.

Saying that, a large proportion of Chinese people need glasses, and they tend to buy nice funky ones, so when I wear my glasses, I either blend in with other Chinese people, or I fit some dorky stereotype that other people have of me. It's weird, because if you go to an Asian country, it's probably far cooler not to wear glasses since they're so commonplace. It's cool to wear contacts. In "western" society, I guess glasses can be cool if they're a bit funky and not so classic. In Asia, my cool glasses would just look boring.

I also think they look good on my face, so I wear them regardless of who I'm with. However, I definitely get a different feeling when I'm sitting with a lot of other Chinese people than I do if I'm sitting with non-Asians.

Last edited by Abstract; Jan 31, 2009 at 02:20 AM.
Abstract is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:43 AM   #18
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumLo0p View Post

Every eye doctor I have had has always strongely recomended the polycarb lenses (aka plastic) because first off they are stronger, more scratch resented, lighter and other advantages.

Add to that the polycarb lens are a lot easier to make. the Temper glass ones have to be form in the correct shape and can not be cut afterwords or it will shatter. There is an insane amount of tensile stress on surface of tempered glass. This is way it shatters the way it does.

For me my frames give out before my lens do but 2 years I am generally ready get something new. That and my glasses are pretty banged up.

Lastly my eye sight is fairly bad so I do not even want to know how think real glass would have to be.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:20 AM   #19
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
.....I have noticed that after about an hour of wearing the glasses, that a greasy "film" builds up on the glasses......
yep, that's what happens with the anti-glare coating! They're definitely a high maintenance issue......it's why I stopped getting it on my glasses
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:02 AM   #20
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEnder View Post
As for scratches, keep that microfiber cloth clean!!! otherwise, dust/dirt build-up will scratch the lens good luck!
How do you guys clean your microfibre cloth? Do you put it in the washing machine, or do you hand clean it with soap?

Like you I have an expensive new pair of glasses (bright red ) and I'm trying to keep the lenses unscratched. It's really annoying as even after cleaning, they still seem smudged, and i think my cloth is probably dirty.

I have some other cloths, but I tried washing them in soap and water, and after I dried them, the texture just wasn't the same as when new.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:03 AM   #21
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
How do you guys clean your microfibre cloth? Do you put it in the washing machine, or do you hand clean it with soap?

Like you I have an expensive new pair of glasses (bright red ) and I'm trying to keep the lenses unscratched. It's really annoying as even after cleaning, they still seem smudged, and i think my cloth is probably dirty.

I have some other cloths, but I tried washing them in soap and water, and after I dried them, the texture just wasn't the same as when new.
I use soap and hot water. They come out like new for me (I air dry them over night also). I've tried the washing machine before, and it ruins them for me.

Don
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:12 AM   #22
LowEnder
macrumors member

When my microfiber cloth starts getting dirty, I just stop by the optical store and pick up some more ...for FREE!
I mean I paid as much for the lenses and frame as an iPhone and one-year of a service contract!
LowEnder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:21 AM   #23
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Really? 6 years ago I bought some glasses with anti-glare/scratch resistant coating and it hasn't worn off them yet.

Also had no problems with a grease build up on any of my anti-glare lenses. I only clean them using a microfibre cloth and with a damp towel after a shower.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:27 PM   #24
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

How can you tell if the coating has worn off? Are there physical signs that you can see, or can you only tell when you begin to see glare?

Anyway, I can see what Dmac77 is talking about now. My lenses pick up grease quite easily, although I had always assumed that this would also happen with glass lenses, or other types of lenses.

It must be my eyelashes or something.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:14 PM   #25
MacNut
macrumors P6

I have a big bottle of cleaner and some cloths, lenses will get dirty no matter what.

It also helps not to touch the lenses.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion