Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
esquolax
macrumors newbie

Weird black boxes on my screen!?

Hi guys,

I swear something has been changed while a friend was using my MBP as I now got 2 weird things happening; it has only started happening since they used it and also I have installed no new software/performed no new updates to trigger it.

I have a feeling it is something simple; however as simple as I am I cannot figure it out and its driving me MAD!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #1:

There are black boxes that appear in my current window, for example if I am on the desktop it looks like this:

Then if I bring up Safari and load a page, a black box appears somewhere on the active page; as you can see here around the MacRumors logo:

The worst part is that box will not stay around the logo or whatever it forms around; watch as I scroll down the page to view the subforums like normal:

And then what happens if I go back to desktop from there:

So as you can see, it jumps all over the place and if I am in something like MSN and I click on the text input box, that gets the black box; then if I click the conversation box it will go around that box. So it seems it is showing up on the current window activity if you get what I mean.

It reminds me of when you tab down a page on a windows system to highlight what text input field you have active...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #2:

I feel this is related to #1 as it started at the same time; but when I am at the top of any given webpage and I scroll down, any length.. say 50% down the page; if I right click the "Open Link in New Tab" it opens the link in a new tab as usual which is good; but it puts me right back to the TOP of the current page I am on.

This never used to happen..

Any input would be great guys; while they are small things they are driving me mad!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

Not to sound condescending, but have you tried restarting the computer?
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
esquolax
macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried restarting it twice hehe.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
sammich
macrumors 601

Those boxes are for Voiceover. They do look messed up, but as long as you don't depend on voiceover for normal use of your computer, disabling them should fix it.

Head to System Preferences > Universal Access. Under the 'Hearing' tab, make sure that 'Voiceover' is off.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, so the errors are showing up in the screen shots ... so I'm guessing it's not a graphics error. I'm sure it's something simple, like you said, but I'm just having trouble pin pointing what it is. Try making another user account and see if this happens.

Also might be a Universal Access issue. (EDIT: sammich beat me to it.)
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
esquolax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
Those boxes are for Voiceover. They do look messed up, but as long as you don't depend on voiceover for normal use of your computer, disabling them should fix it.

Head to System Preferences > Universal Access. Under the 'Hearing' tab, make sure that 'Voiceover' is off.
OK, good news, thanks heaps for that sammich and MarkMS; the issue has been resolved.

It was Universal Access that was messing around; as I said I was fairly sure it was something simple, but because I didn't see what they played with I had no clue what it was.

Once again, THANK YOU!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help