Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
recommend. Yes, Mac and games generally dont go together hand in hand but Id like to know, Im interested in Quake 4, CMR, AoE3, and Doom 3. Will those all run good at native resolution (1650x1080 or w/e?). Also a little bit about my mac. Got it yesterday xP. Bought a Leopard Server upgrade (appearantly its better idk? i like the Blue Aurora wallpaper better than the default Leopard one), along w/ iLife09 and iWork09 which will come soon. Also got Final Cut Pro, and a couple other apps.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
I don't think the G4 will be good for those games mate :confused:
Yeah same here.
How much did that all cost?
I would recommend returning that I getting a MacBook Pro.
Sorry for all of the trouble, but most games like Intel Core 2 Duo Processors.
And also, why Leopard Server?
There's absolutely no point if you only have one Mac.
So, my advice would just be to return that, and trash Leopard Server, and save the money to get the MacBook Pro.

samleung

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Wow. How much money did you spend? If you want to even start talking about mac gaming, get a Macbook Pro. A g4 doesn't cut it at all.

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
XP even on virtualization will be miserably slow on a G4.

I would say you should have gotten a Core 2 Duo :(

Enjoy it regardless though bud!

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Well asside from leopard server which I plan on returning, and the app packs for 2009... i paid a grand total of... 0.00 United States Dollars =D (found it in a dumpster lol jk, my friend gave it to me). And we do have other macs, this is just my first one personally. I never really used them outside of internet and I gotta say im impressed. I am saving up for a MBP to buy sooner or later but for now this works fine.

And I tried some demos and all of those games work fine so im happy. But what other things would you recommend for a newbie?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Well asside from leopard server which I plan on returning, and the app packs for 2009... i paid a grand total of... 0.00 United States Dollars. And we do have other macs, this is just my first one personally. I never really used them outside of internet and I gotta say im impressed. I am saving up for a MBP to buy sooner or later but for now this works fine.

And I tried some demos and all of those games work fine so im happy. But what other things would you recommend for a newbie?

Ah, I see.
Well, have fun with your Mac.
And please do get that MacBook Pro.
You'll be most impressed. :D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
NO, everyone is telling the OP wrong. It's obvious none of you have used a Powerbook as your own computer. I had the 17" Powerbook G4 Rev B. It was 1.33Ghz with 2GB ram. I ran Quake 4 and Doom 3 with no glitches. Both will run fine on medium settings. I've played online with both games with good frame rates.

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
NO, everyone is telling the OP wrong. It's obvious none of you have used a Powerbook as your own computer. I had the 17" Powerbook G4 Rev B. It was 1.33Ghz with 2GB ram. I ran Quake 4 and Doom 3 with no glitches. Both will run fine on medium settings. I've played online with both games with good frame rates.

Speaking of which, I agree, they are telling me wrong, I went out and bought Quake 4. And Im running it on Ultra settings at 1650x1080 and its averaging 25fps. TAKE THAT DUAL CORES AND INTEL. Which brings up the question why Doom 3 lags up quite a bit, I think thats more of a Leopard thing though. Either way, this thing Is awesome, finally Quake 4 w/ a keyboard and mouse vs. that stupid X360 port.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
XP even on virtualization will be miserably slow on a G4.

Of course it is. Virtualization on the later intel platforms (most of the core duo and core 2 duo based processors) offer hardware assisted virtualization. Plus its going from x86 to x86 instead of x86 to powerpc.

Biohazard881

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
You will do fine

I have a g4 and i do lots on it. I play wow, AoE2, COD and MOH. So there is alot out there. Google is your friend. Good luck!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.